• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

choke broke..need help

beretta

hey guys. I was out riding the other day and hit the choke lever with my knee and it broke off. today I picked up a new one and on the directions it says i need to disconnect it from the carb. is this true? I dont really want to do that if I dont have to. If I have to, do I have to clean the carb then? Thanks for the help.

Depends on the carb, but all the ones I've seen, the answer is probably yes. And if you've never cleaned the carb(s) out and had the sled for more than one season, yes, you should clean the carbs, too. Gas these days degrades to varnish faster than gas ever has in the past - two weeks of sitting is all it takes sometimes now. If you give year make and model here, I'm sure someone else could be more specific

They aren't that hard to switch over, just spray a little carb cleaner around the brass fittings on the carb before you remove the old ones. Any crud won't be as likely to fall into the internals of the carbs. Try to put the cables in exactly the same way they come out (no kinks and smooth operation). See if the plungers match up, and so they come up identical amounts before you re-install the new cable. When you tighten up the nut for the lever, aim the lever in a way that future problems will be less likely to occur. Keep your fuel fresh, buy from a high volume dealer, most fuel should last longer than a couple weeks, it's usually the heat (of summer) and evaporation that makes gas varnish faster, run a fuel stabilizer to minimize deterioration, but for prolonged storage periods, best to run gas comepletely out of machine.

Mine broke off last year, and I just put some bailing wire through the pin hole and hold it out to choke. I have to sit on my sled for it to warm up, but it only takes a few minutes to warm and works good enough for me! grin.gif