• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beltrami State Forest Hearing POSTPONED

Dave

The public hearing for Beltrami Island State Forest

scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 13, 2005, 6 to 9 p.m. at the

Warroad Middle School, 510 Cedar Avenue NW, Warroad, MN

has been POSTPONED.

The new date is Thursday, February 17, 2005, 6 to 9 p.m. at

the Warroad Middle School, 510 Cedar Avenue NW, Warroad,

MN

We have not confirmed the official end date for public

comments. We will let you know as soon as we have that

information available. If you have any questions about this

please contact Helen Cozzetto, DNR Natural Resources

Planner, 6603 Bemidji Avenue North, Bemidji, MN 56601; or

by calling (218) 755-3954 or e-mailing

[email protected].

We used this as a topic on our open line program at one of the radio stations I work for in thief river falls....We had Mary Broten, who was/is on the team that did the GPS mapping of the BISF trail system. We also had Larry Long the dnr forestry supervisor from Wanaska. When asked about specific, well used trails it was obvious(as she said it) that there are alot of trails the task force did not see any human activity on....That was the main part of thier criteria in accessing the trail as open...in thier report they state that "if the trail showed "any" sign of motor vehicle use it was included on the maps and designated open. Looking at the maps I know this is most false...the problem lies in "when" they did thier mappping....it was last winter....snow covered trails won't show much sign of vehicle traffic....I talk to local dnr last winter when they were doing much of the mapping. We need to be at this meeting with as much info as we can about trails we would like to remain open....The dnr is/will be posting "new", easier to read maps on thier HSOforum for viewing. We need to keep the pressure on if we even want to have a hope of access to some of our vavorite trails for riding, hunting, berry picking, mushroom hunting....whatever you enjoy doing in the forests of minnesota!

Thanks for posting this. Beltrami Island is where we have our deer camp so we do a fair amount of riding in that area. Are they talking about making the logging roads off limits? It looks like I'll need to schedule a fishing trip in Feb. Keep up posted on the date of the meeting please.

Thanks!

The DNR will have "upgraded" maps available by January 21st. You can get them off the DNR HSOforum or at DNR offices and public librarys. They will "clearly" show all motorized routes and closed trails. They have also extended the comment period through the end of February. I've talked with Maxine Penas and Leroy Stumph and they both seem to be on our side!! You can make comments directly on the DNR HSOforum!! Maxine and Leroy are also working on extending the "exemption" for "big game" hunters to travel off designated routes to include the "bear baiting & bear hunting season!" The meeting has been rescheduled for February 17th 6 - 9 Pm at the Warroad H.S.

Here's the latest update....I work for a radio station in NW mn....our news director got a call from Leroy Stumph this A.M. and Mr. Stumph informed us that himself and several other legislators are introducing legislation to "repeal" the forest reclassification law...Meaning "if" they are successful there will have to be "no change" of classifications on state forest lands!! Write your legislators, the govenor, the commissioner or NR...Up here in the northcountry...County officials have gone as far as to pass "local" laws requiring the DNR to aquire "use permits" from county officials before traveling on county and township roads!! The meeting is still on...keep the pressure on....IT'S WORKING!!!

I am so confused so please excuse my stupid question. Obviously, down here in the prairie we don't have state forests.

What is legal right now??? Can you ride anywhere in a state forest, or only on certain trails?

I own and ride an ATV. Just because I don't ride in state forests doesn't mean I want to see them closed. I really don't want to see anymore anti-atv legislation. I'm just confused on what is legal right now.

Help would be appreciated.

Boilerguy, in a nutshell and as I understand it, the DNR was directed by the state to inventory all roads/trails in individual state forests. Roads/trails would be marked on a map that are suitable for ATVs. Some roads/trails may even be only 1/4 mile long and not connect to any other trail but, that 1/4 mile would count towards the total miles for ATVs to ride on. MANY of the miles marked on these inventoried maps are actually low maintenance roads or forest roads (already accessible to everyday vehicles) so, in reality if passed, would close most of that forest to ATVs. Closing a majority of each forest would close off many acres, and many miles of trails that are used now, during rec riding, hunting, berry picking, etc., etc. Non connecting trails basically closes of the trails as they are used now by ATVers. I don't know anyone who would want to ride a mile, turn around and come back. There are some longer trails but you'd have to look at the inventory map that the DNR is publishing on its HSOforum.