• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Panther - Starter Dead

yoppdk

My 2000 Panther with ESR no longer has any power to the starter. It worked fine a week ago, but because the battery was on it's last leg I replaced the battery. When I was installing the battery, I found I had placed the pos lead onto the neg battery terminal, and visa versa. This is because the Champion battery I bought had terminals in reverse of the original Arctic Cat battery. But I DID NOT CRANK the starter before I noticed my mix-up, so I had hoped there would be no further problems. Yet now with the battery connected properly, I get no power to the starter when I turn the key. I suspect I've shorted a selonoid or something by having the polarity reversed. Do any of our experts have advice? If it's a matter of replacing a part, I'd like to make the repair myself, and promise to be more careful than when replacing the battery ...

thanks in advance for any guideance you may have.

Check all fuses first, that will blow them instantly. I'm not familiar with that model sled but I'd highly doubt you would take out the starter just by hooking that up wrong, you probably don't have power getting there anymore because you blew fuses on the way...

Test light might tell you something too.

Blew that fuse sky high when the battery was installed wrong. It should be located behind the battery attached to the frame. It will have a black cover over it. If Im remembering correctly, and its probably a 7.5 amp fuse.

thanks for the input ... a $.20 fuse (25a) was all it took. I was wondering if these machines had fuses, but never found any. With your guideance I found the fuse and got 'er going again. Happy new year!