• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what will too much chaincase oil do?

Gus

will having too much chaincase oil do damage to anything?

The oil level plug rubber grommet broke and I could only put the thing back together with the chaincase cover off so I could get at both sides. So I went by memory (bad memory) and just used the whole bottle of chaincase fluid. After further research today it looks like I only needed to use about 3oz or so. SO if any damage is likely to occur it looks like I'll be making a trip to the dealer for a new grommet and taking the thing apart again since I cannot just take the screw out without the two halvs falling apart to drain off a little bit.

So am I off to the dealer?

First off, boilerguy isn't an expert, but I work on like a million gearboxes every day. From what I'm thinking it's just like a gearbox, or manual transmission, or rear end on a pick-up. I'm not seeing any damage happen. However, I do envision lube leaking out the seal.

If it's a concern you can drain and refill to the proper level.

Looking at my manual (it's a 91 Indy trail) it's suposed to take about 3 oz. I put the whole bottle in, which I threw away already, but I think it was 12 oz. I ended up going to the dealer last night and getting the necessary plug. I think I'll just error on the safe side and take it apart again. I don't want to spend any unecessary time stuck on the lake or stuck in the garage because I broke it!

Thanks.

I worked in av factory that made chain cases for many of the short line snowmobile mft. 30 years ago, like jactrac, motoski,chaporel,viking ect. The proper amount of chain lube was to the center of the bottom gear, the output shaft or drive shaft, not the imput shaft with the variable speed pulley on it. I don;t beleive excess oil in the case would ruin anything if there is no sign of leakage around the seals, just drain and fill to proper level. smile.gifall is not lost.