• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lesson learnd!Lesson learned!

Reef Runner

Well I learned my lesson the hard way this weekend. I have a two year old yellow lab. ( Jack) We were down in Austin this weekend trying to case up some roosters. Well there was a barbed wire fence and I told him to jump it. He normally has a great vertical but this time he did not. I had a hard time getting him out of the field. He still wanted to hunt. So 13 stitches and 120 dollars later I am much wiser. That put an end to his season. He was not happy about that. I think I am going to get him a vest and never never ask him to do that again.

The vests work great. The one that I have is bright orange on top and black cordua on the bottom. The thing to watch for with them is that if they loosen up and you do not catch it it can wear away the hair on the front of the legs. This happened to me a week before Christmas. Maggie would not stop hunting and I did not notice it until after we were done. It took about a week and half to completely heal.

Vests are great but there is not substitute for trying to keep your nerves in check. The best way to cross those fences is to go over an dstep and lift them and then give the command to continue. No sense in making them jump it when you are right there. Better expenditure of cash and easier on the dog. They will tear themselves up enough on their own without us telling them to do it. You are lucky he did not catch his unit or the nads as that would cost a lot more to fix, if they could. You got lucky.