• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Live Bird Retrieve

LuciandTim

It's kinda weird....my dog retrieves anything, except live birds. In the past couple days I dropped a couple roosters that didn't die. The dog grabbed the bird and put her mouth on it but just stayed like that. It was sort of like she pinned the bird down and didn't know what to do. She doesn't bite the bird hard enough to puncture it but just mouths it. I'm not worried. She is just a puppy and is probably a little weirded out by this. Thought it was kinda strange though. We didn't loose the birds, I just have to walk over and grab it and ring its neck. Hope she grows out of this.

Tim if I remember right your Lucy is about a year old, and has not had any profetional training.

It really isn't uncommon even for experianced dogs to not retreive a squrming, fiesty bird.

I think it is as BDR said ,it will just take some time for her to mature and get used to the live bird.

She might have been spured and is shy of the bird now, seen this happen to a Brittny once.It took a couple of outings to get the Britt back on retrieving after that.

Lot's of bird action will get her going, just keep at it.

Benny