• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

weather

LuciandTim

Assuming they are outside dogs with good winter coats on, they can probably handle a lot more than you or I could! My black lab Buster has been impervious to cold he whole life. When he was younger and in his prime, he often didn't even go inside his dog house until it got below zero.

Now an all the time inside dog with a 70 degree coat, that's a far different story and a question I'd have to leave to others...

Went hunting on Sunday when it was 6 degrees out, within the first half hour my year old dog fell into an open creek and got completely soaked, ice hanging on her, but she kept on going with no problem. But she is kenneled outside and has a nice, thick coat. I would say if you're taking an inside dog out, you better keep your hunt down to an hour, no death marches/3-4 hour hunts.

My lab is an inside dog. We hunted on Saturday and she did fine all day. I think the temp was 10 degrees by the time we wrapped it up at dark. I am not sure what the coldest temps were that I have hunted with her. I do know that I have hunted single digits with a nasty wind and it did not seem to bother her a bit.

Is there a way you can tell if your dog is having a problem with cold weather? Maggie never sits still long enough for me to tell if she is shivering.