• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimming Jigs?

loebs93

I just talked to a guy from Scheels today and he had me convinced that swimming jigs, from Rapala for instance are a necessity for ice fishing. I ended up buying three of them to sample over the first few weeks of ice fishing.

I'm curious to know if anybody has any opinions on these and if there are any particular brands that are a better value than others. The Rapala brand is pretty spendy at around $4.oo min for a small one.

Also, I spent just a short amount of time looking at them and didn’t see any that glow. Do they make them yet?

I would assume they would work better for night fishing.

You need to try the Chubby Darters. I have several and I have a orange and white one that glows. I think its the glow dace? Also have a gold orange one thats deadly on LOW. I love the Rapals for Laketrout and eyes. Nils master also has some but I only have 1 and havent gotten a chance to run it yet. I highly suggets you check out Salmos line of Chubby Darters on their HSOforum. Oh by the way the smallest ones are great on big Red Lake Crappie!

Did someone mention swimming jigs? wink.gifgrin.gif

Here are Nils and Hali's again (had them in another post..I think. The right top and 3rd down patterns both are glow.

Jiggers.JPG

Here are the sizes in the pic(including hooks).....

From left to right.

1) 1.5"

2) 1.75"

3) 2"

4) 2.5"

5) 2.75"

Lower left (Hali Jiggers) 1.75" except the blue which is 2.25"

Lower Right 3.25"

They do work and are a good addition to your tackle box. What type of fish do you target?

I bought them to fish crappies and walleyes. The ones I got don't glow...that’s too bad; I guess I'll just have to get some that do. The man said that you normally don’t have to put any live bait, unless the fish are pretty picky. Would that affect the action of the lure?

With the Darter's I don't typically use bait. If you decide to however, a minnow head on the back treble won't hinder the baits action. If you're looking for glow go with the Luminescent Orange Dace that Northlander's referring to, they're killer!

Bob_D, I saw that other post and that same picture. That's actually what made me go out and get these. I just couldn't find it this morning when I did a search. Anyway thanks a lot...again wink.gif

loebs93,

I don't normally put bait on mine when I'm fishing for walleye. When I'm fishing for perch, I just put some wax worms on the bottom hook.

I think Mills Fleet Farm,Gander Mtn, and Sportsmans Warehouse all carry them. Or you could try to get them from Nils Master directly.

Bob_D, You have a nice selection there but I didn't see a Rapala W7GL in the mix. At times a hot Lake Trout producer here in Northern Mn. I tip the treble with a chub head or cut cisco. The mother-in-law makes a trip to Finland every year and brings me back a couple lures, I'll request a few Hali's this time. grin.gif

loebs93,

I've got some Jigging Rapalas that glow and on Saturday I picked up two of the new Jigging Shad Raps and they glow. The Jigging Shad Raps that I have are orange and chartruese (sp?) in color but do glow with a blast of light.

Bought some, tried em, hated em. Couldnt catch a thing with them. My buddy sittin right next to me in my fish house was pulling walligators up like crazy with a plain sweedish pimple. Maybe a little less action and fluttering with the swiiming jig i dont know.