• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kids ice fishing reel

tomfromblaine

Question

Hi guys, this is my 4year old daughters first ice season and she's pretty stoked especially since she saw the clam 6800 I got from moose-hunter. when fishing she has no problems with a plain reel but that wont work with bobber stops , I think a open face reel may complicate things for her at this time but she has said she wants one like daddy's what do you guys think.

3 answers to this question

Hiya,

Go find a Diawa Underspin 40. They're a closed face reel, but hang under the rod, and have a lever you lift to open the bail. Great reels for kids (I started both my girls on them) and a great next step toward a regular spinning reel. Plus the drags are actually half decent (can't say that about most spincast reels). They do ok with bobber stops (they'll catch once in a while but not all that often) as long as you trim the tag ends down on the string stops. Neoprene stops work well with them too.

Cheers,

RK

When my kids were little, I picked up several spin-cast rigs at garage sales and shortened them up. For a bobberstop, I tied a slipknot in the line and inserted a short piece of braided line, so I didn't have to worry about a bobberstop slipping. I had about two bucks into each rod so I wouldn't have felt bad if one went down the hole. I made up several and had bobberstops set at different depths, so instead of changing the setting, they could just grab a different rod. These don't work well outside the fishhouse, where things tend to ice up. Another option is one of the underspin reels, made by a number of different companies. I have a son who used one for late fall openwater fishing, because he could use it while wearing gloves.

thanks guys for the info, went to sportsman warehouse and they didnt have that underspin like you suggested, so I figured since I'll be setting next to her anyway to help her get her line down I just got her a cetus because she has the reeling up part down pat, besides maybe she'll let me use it sometimes wink.gif