• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant report for 12/3

I hunted between litchfied and murdock on public land.I have to say i love hunting this time of year. I was able to get places I havent been able to because of all the water being froze up. I was able to flush out 6 roosters and one hen in about 4 hours of hunting. I am heading out the 8th or 9th or both if anyone is interested as of now it is just me and my pointer. Adam

Most of it was frozen up solid. We did find some spots that were still pretty wet though.. My hunting partner got really wet though. We were crossing a frozen creek and he broke through up to his waste, made for a long trip home for him. His new nickname at work is swamp a$$. I will be out that way wednesday and thursday for me the hunting just keeps getting better as the season goes on. Adam

I was out most of the day on Sat. towards Willmar. Got up 4 roosters on private land but the birds were real jumpy and I only had a shot on 1 bird that I got. The landowner is a real nice guy but I think he lets everyone hunt. While I was on one side of his slough a group of 3 start hunting the other side I had already worked. It kind of ticked me off that he would let 2 groups on at one time but there's not much I can do. They tracked down one of the roosters that I flushed too far away for a shot and because they were there I could go after it. This slough was fine to walk on most areas. I didn't break through but a little bit. The dog busted through in one area so I turned around there. I then hit some public and flushed one old long tail. He was a little jumpy also and I rocked him good with my first shot but he didn't go down. He was up in the wind and gone then. He didn't sail too far across the cattails so I went after him. The ice was fine the first half across and then it got kindof bad. I got a little wet and Jack got birdy but couldn't get the rooster up again. It just ran circles around him I think. I was cutting it close for my wife's work X-Mas party so the safe way around the big slough was out of the question. I had to go back the way I came and I got soaked. I think the afternoon temps weakened the ice or it was this slough but I was up past my knees a couple of times throwing myself flat on the ice trying to find solid ice. I was exhausted by the time I got out of there. Gotta love late season hunting!!!!!!!!

I must be getting old, I ventured out onto some ice on Sunday, then when I saw some open water in a channel I hi-tailed it for shore instead of going around. Then I read your 'wet' stories and I think, yep, been there done that, I'll wait a few more days.

We need some cold nights, down to zero, then some snow, then the late season hunting will be good. I'm committed to going to the in-laws this weekend and with the way the ice is, it doesn't bother me, must be getting old frown.gif

I was out west of Willmar on Sunday. The morning was great flushed 5 hens and 1 rooster. Never really had a clear shot at him, I was on the wrong side of the creek. The afternoon was tough the wind really picked up when that front moved in only saw 2 hens. All the ponds I was on were froze over solid. The ice started to crack a bit on one of the bigger ponds when I got close to the middle but it was fine in the cattails.

I kicked through a lot of cattails, I could hardly walk when I got home, never did flush one out of the cattails either. confused.gif

I’ve got a flusher who doesn’t have much bird experience. I really need to get him on some birds. After the holidays I’m thinking of making as many trips as I can afford up to Glenderado. If anybody is interested in going shoot me an e-mail or post here.

[email protected]

i was out by ortonville and monte. saw quite a few birds but they were the most skiddish birds i have ever seen. birds were getting up like crazy (Contact US Regarding This Word) near 500 yards out in a giant slough. water was frozen in slough but my buddy did break through a few times and got wet just over his knees. no birds close enough to shoot at. tons of birds in the cattails though. maybe try it next week again.

Well I hit it hard yesterday and this morning. Most the areas I was hunting last week again were to wet. I decided to go meet some people and knock on some doors. I went to almost 20 differet places some gave me access some didnt. All will be getting a christmas cards this year. As for the hunting not suprisingly I saw more birds on the private land but I did see a few on the public. Some of the smallest strips of grass on the private stuff held birds. Next weekend its off to SD I was hoping for some ice fishing on Waubay but it looks like 3 days of pheasant hunting with my pointer instead. Adam

Went farther west yesterday and finally found some roosters. Got one and missed three. They do exist in this state. I took off next Thursday and will probably head close to the South Dakota border.

Was out in WC Minn on Saturday on a relative's place. Started by walking down a ditch that is about a half mile long. Halfway down the ditch, my brittany got birdy and before long a rooster blew up in her face. Shot that one and she wouldnt come out of the ditch. I waited for what seemed like forever and sure enough, another busted out of there. Shot that one too and 15 minutes into the day I had my limit. Kinda cool, but I was actually hoping for a longer hunt. Didnt even get to the area where I figured there would be quite a few birds. All in all a good day.