• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good heavy Muskie/Pike/Etc rod?

spasticcp

I've recently gotten back into fishing after years of forgetting just how good it was. Most of the equipment I have is pretty old, and was cheap to begin with and I've started the slow process of replacing some of it. I was wondering if I could get some advice on finding a good solid heavy rod and reel (casting not spinning) for landing some lunkers. I'm looking for some good durable action that's not cheap, but that isn't going to break me at the same time. I've got a decent Shimano med/lite for pans and bass, but I don't know if they make a decent affordable heavy rod. I've been to a few review sites and have read a lot of conflicting info. Any particular rod/reel types that any of you folks absolutely swear by?

Welcome back to fishing...

For the money it's tough to beat the Abu Garcia 5500 and 6500 series baitcasting reel, the C3 would be the best all around reel as the C4 has a higher gear ratio and can make pulling big cranks and big bucktails pretty tough. As far as a rod goes, the St.Croix Premier musky rods are great for the money, but if those are still a little too pricey, (although I don’t own one) the Gander Mountain guide series rods are pretty solid also. Another setup that may suit your need is the Pete Maina rig from Bass Pro Shops, it’s a rod and reel combo and I know there are a lot of guys out there using them.

One last thought, you may want to ask yourself how serious you are about fishing Musky and Big Pike. When I started fishing them I figured I would just get low end stuff and see if Musky fishing was something I wanted to do. Now Musky is pretty much all I fish for from season open to season close and the next year I went out and bought the higher end gear I wish I would have bought in the first place. I guess it worked out though because now I have less expensive gear for Friends/Family that want to go out with me, and I don’t have to worry about them breaking the expensive stuff.

I hope this rambling helps...

There are a lot of good muskie/pike rods/reels on the market....it isn’t going to be an easy choice. I really enjoy my set-ups but I can’t say they are better than the next guy’s. So, take my comments for what they are worth.

I have a few St.Croix muskie rods that I love! Their “premier” series are a little more affordable than the “Avid” series and seem to be very good sticks. I would recommend the Premier 7’2 or 8’0 rods. I use the 8’0 footer for tossing bucktails and the 7’2 for an all-around type of rod. These rods run about 130.00 dollars…not the cheapest rods but they are good quality. I also have a G.Loomis muskie rod that is awesome but these rods are very spendy…it was a gift…and I normally wouldn’t spend that kind of money. But, if you got the bucks, check them out.

If that is too rich for your blood, I have heard very good things about Gander Mountain muskie rods. I borrowed one from a friend and was very impressed…good stick and I think they run about 70.00-90.00. Well worth checking them out.

I use Abu reels…they seem very dependable and I have no complaints so far. The C3 6500 model (80.00$) is a good model for about any type of bait presentation. I think a lot of members on this forum would agree that Abu reels are a good bang for the buck. However, I have heard very good things about the Diawa Millionaire (200.00$), Pflueger Trion 66 (80.00$) and various Shimano models. So, I would recommend checking them all out.

Good luck on your search and beware..this could become very addictive. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Thanks for the input. I've heard nothing but good things about Abu Garcia. As for Gander Mountain guide series, I've heard they make a decent product and at an reasonable price. It would be so nice if every outdoor and pro shop had a nice big pond right out back to test things out first...but that's like wishing for a fish with every cast.

thinking about the same thing as spasticcp and i am for sure buying the gander rod. 8' MH can't beat it. looks and feels like a stellar rod. also almost positive about getting the abu c3 6500 but now that esoxmn brought up the thumbar model i may have to look into that. by the way, how much are the thumb bar models running for?just waiting for xmas and maybe i'll get one of these items from someone. cant wait till i get to try everything out next year. thanks to all of you for all the advice and options on musky gear. was very handy.

Train

I've been trying my hand at Muskie fishing this year and picked up a Abu Garcia 5600 CB reel and Fish Eagle II Muskie rod combo from Cabela's. I really like the feel of the reel and the rod seems fairly decent, all for around $120; lures will set you back more than that!

I have some St.Criox Avid and premiers that I am willing to let go of at a good price. I will double check the models and post again. I think they are 6' -- 7'6" -- 7'10" all are used but in very good (like new) shape. Great rods and with a 6' and a 7' something rod, you are ready to fish almost every lure you can find. I would even be able to donate a few lures to go with any rod you buy. :-) Plus I will have a couple of Calcutta 400 TE Reels and lots of other stuff. Getting it all ready for a push on hsolist. But I would rather keep it local and help someone get into the sport!

I will give more info soon.

Steve Sedesky

I too would be interested in a good Musky rod. For what it's worth, I don't have a Gander Musky rod but I do own 3 of their other rods and they are tough to beat for the money. [email protected]

Thanks fellas.

spasticcp, don't forget that hsolist can be a good place to pick up a deal on last years model Abu Garcia reels.