• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK to put "heat" in the sled gas tank?

Uncle Grump

Hi all

Son bought himself a 97 Cat 580 EFI. It runs good for a while, then bogs down, then runs good again. He's changed out the plugs. I'm wondering about a little water in the gas (it sat over summer) and the advisablitity of putting some ISO Heat in the tank.

Seems I read / heard something on this topic, but can't remember the details....

Anybody know?

Thanks

UG

I've put heat in my sled before also.

I actually had my carbed Indy 500 quit on me in the ditch. I immediately thought I blew a cylinder. I loaded it up, brought it back to the heated garage, and it started up an hour later. When I first got it in the garage, I noticed there was no fuel getting to the carbs. An hour later, it was running fine. Apparently something just iced up in the fuel line and it needed to warm up and melt I guess.

Sounds to me like you've got old gas. I'd definitely siphon the old stuff out of the tank and get some fresh gas.

Uncle Grump,

We used to run a rental dealership near Brainerd. We rented Arctic Cats and never had any problem with them except for one season, and I want say that it was 97. We had a problem with all of the 580 EXT EFIs that rented and it sounds very similar to what your son is experiencing. We ended up having to replace a computer chip in the EFI system which fixed the problem. May be something else to have checked. Good Luck.

I have the same sled and intermittently the same problem. I have had success putting some fuel injector cleaner in the tank once a season.

My brother also has the same sled and he has never had the problem.

How many miles are on it?

There are two kinds of heet, one for 4 stroke only and one for 2 strokes or "all engines." Get the right one. Also, only non-oxy gas is "pure" gas, all the other stuff already has some amount of alcohol in it. Add heet on top of that and now you have lots o alcohol in it which leans out the mixture. Soooo, the leaner it is the hotter it runs and the hotter it runs the more likely of a problem, like burning a piston. My EFI sled has a chip in it for oxygenated fuel. Was like that when I got it from the previous owner. I use non oxy without any performance problem, so if it is efi check your chip. My computer module has a sticker on the outside. Also, alcohol in fuel will help you burn out the water, BUT if the fuel sits with the alcohol in it it actually ABSORBS more water than if you had straight gas, so keep that in mind too.....

Agree with everyone else....change the fuel. Maybe put some sea foam in to clean some deposits out.

Quote:

We ended up having to replace a computer chip in the EFI system which fixed the problem. May be something else to have checked.

Danglin

Thanks for the tip. We are unfamilar w/ the hardware "layout" for the EFI sled. What does the

"chip" look like abd where is it located?

Thanks

UG