• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Electronic??? Newbie here

honda400ex_treme

This is my first year ice fishing where im really serious, now that me and my dad will have a house other than a portable and are making time to go. What would everyone suggest for an electronic, Vexlar, Marcum, Aqua-Vue. I don't know all of them or the different series of them. So if you know any info on any of them and what you suggest. We just want something that will help us locate fish.

I like the Vexlar but I have no idea what version to get of it. I barely know how to work it also.

Thanks in advance!

I would check out the MarCum LX-1. It's your basic fish locater/flasher. It has outstanding target separation and the signal reading is phenomenal. It's a three-color flasher that will tell you the depth, it will show you the fish, and it will show you your jig. It will also tell you what type of bottom content is down there as well as if there are weeds or not (you can read up more about this in the user manual). I use a MarCum LX-3 (same as the LX-1 but with a zoom feature) and I love it. Another good thing about MarCum is that the interference rejection is incredible. You will block out all opposing signals and you won't have any clutter up on your screen. You can fish two MarCum's side by side without any problems. You can even fish next to a buddy with a Vexilar and still have a clear screen while your buddy's screen has some clutter.

I used a Vexilar for years, and I caught a lot of fish with one, so I'm not knocking Vexilar, they will still get the job done. But, I prefer a MarCum, it just suits me better.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I have used a Vexilar FL8 (old model SLT) for 5 years and it has helped me to be a better ice fisherman. The new version is the FL8-SE. For the money, I would say you would be very happy with how it can help you. I have my unit mounted on the Genz Blue Box, and this makes the unit very rugged. The bottom line is that any realtime ice fishing sonar is better than fishing blind, but I like my Vexilar. Hope this helps!

I'm going to have to second Matt on the LX-1 or Lx-3. I too used the vex for a number of years but went with the Marcum two years ago. I'm very pleased with not only their product, but their customer service as well. Whatever you do, don't go fishing without either a Marcum or a Vex, it's just so much fun watching a chunk of that dial turn to red.

Honda.... Maybe you could borrow a locator from a friend or rent one from a bait store. Take it out for a day and make your decision later. A locator is a spendy investment but worth every penny! Another option is checking if there are any used locators available. This could save you some $$

Good Luck and let us know if we can help anymore.

Corey Bechtold

I just purchased a lx-3 and tried it today through the ice in rw. It works great the zoom feature is the cat's meow. And yes i still had to sit on the dock and fish, but i had to break ice to fish. ohhhh its getting closer.

Thanks for all the advice and information guys. I'm going to the Ice Fishing show this weekend with my dad, and buddy, my buddy knows a ton about this kind of stuff he just got a Aqua Vue this year. But I'd like to hear more than one opinion on products. My dad is planning on buying a gas auger up there, do you guys know if they are cheaper up there than if we just went to cabelas, gander mt, or fleet farm?

Honda- You are doing the right thing asking people here that have USED the equipment. Don't get me wrong, the ice show is a good spot to ask questions. But you'll be asking questions from the Reps, Strikemaster, Jiffy, Eskimo)and will get nothing but praise on the product from their company.

As for electronics, ask yourself how much time are you planning on getting out to fish. That will give you an idea if you want to spend $299.99 or an extra $100 on a Vexilar FL-18 or Marcum unit.

I started with the vexilar and loved the unit! When the FL-18 came out, I definately had to have it because of the zoom feature it had. PLUS I ice fish as much as possible so the investment has paid dividends! (I sold my FL-8, so the cost of a new unit wasn't to bad to swallow grin.gif )

I like my unit because of the new lights that Vex. came out with on the unit- very bright. I mentioned it had zoom and you can zoom the bottom 6 ft of the water column. If you are fishing perch/walleyes coming off the bottom- you can really see the fish come off the bottom. Plus, the unit has a low power setting as well if you are fishing in 10-12ft of water or less.

Keep asking questions and we'll do our best to advise you!

As for augers- do a search on the topic of augers, good discussion was done a few days back!

Good Luck

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Another thing you can do is check out the used gear forums hear and really save some money on used Vexs or MarCums

As will all things relating to personal use, there are personal preferences.

I recommend you test drive different models and see what suits your needs the best. There are bait shops that do rent sonar units so that is one good option. Teaming up with someone who has a unit you wish to test is another. The idea is to get the feel of the unit and if it has the features most convenient to you personally.

On-ice sonar is widely excepted as the single most useful piece of equipment that will up your odds and expand your knowledge of the environment below. I tend to agree with that completely. On-ice sonar revolutionized fishing and our knowledge of fish behavior. They are a wise and useful investment.

As an investment, sonar is a good one as it can also be used all year long. If you fish all four seasons the cost of a system on average balances out to less then a candy bar a day. You may wish to explore a package that includes mounting and installation hardware that will serve you in all four seasons. Often this can be more cost effective by buying summer and winter packages. If your building from a budget the basic on ice units can easily be expanded latter as you see fit.

Lowrance, MarCum, and Vexilar all have highly functional and user-friendly units on the market. Before you buy, I recommend you "Test Drive" as many models as interest you and see what feels best for you personally.