• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab tearing up birds on the retrieve

Flash

Recently my Lab has started to tear up the birds on the retrieve. The problem started when I hunted with a another guy that has a young lab and that lab tried to take away a bird from mine. Now when she gets a bird she does not want to let it go. She is worried the other dog is going to get it. She really crunches down on them. Is there a way to get her to stop doing this?

Flash

"Set the Hook"

Barbed wire on a throwing dumby covered in bird feathers.

Wrap dumby with a few wraps of wire.

Camoflage the wire with as many old bird feathers as you can. school glue works to make them stick.

Throw the dumby and release dog to retrieve.

2-3 bites and the dog usually gets the picture not to bite so hard but Labs can't just leave something their master threw. They will still retrieve. I know this sounds awful but I've heard some guys use small nails or tacks. Use what you want but that dog needs to remember it can be bad if the bird gets crunched. Keep in mind that dogs can crush small bones quite efficiently your not going to scar your friend for life by doing by doing this.

As for the dog that trys to take it away, encourage the other owner to address the problem as you will get tired of retraining your dog after each trip with him.

Good luck,

Abens1078

Flash... I've taken in several dogs that have developed "hard mouth" and the only reliable, permanent and effective way I've found to solve the problem is a full force fetch (aka: conditioned retrieve) training session. I would use a pro trainer to solve your dilema as opposed to doing it yourself (if you've never done force fetching). It can be a more involved process now that he has developed bad habits as opposed to "starting fresh" with a 9-13 month old dog.

I would highly doubt if this condition will "self heal" or get better without intervention. In fact it has been my experience that it will probably continue to get worse as opposed to better.

I agree, I wouldn't hunt with your buddies dog until he learns some ettiquette. No sense ruining your dog hunting with a far from finished dog.

Good Luck!

Ken

OK. Working off that advice, my 14 week old wants to eat anything with feathers. It is particularly bad when I strap a wing to dummy. I want to get her enthused about smelly stuff, but I don't want her to slaughter it in the process. Right now, I'm leaving the wings out the training altogether.

Any advice? I'm open to force fetching at some point, but she needs to learn quite a few other essentials first.

You might consider buying yourself some new "dummies" in the cleaning department at your local Wallyworld. Scrub brushes with fairly stiff bristles can discourage the earlier signs of hardmouth without causing undue pain.

With an older dog that has suddenly developed the urge to crunch, you might try using frozen birds during training.

Ray, it's pretty common to have a pup "rough up" a bumper or bird... just try and minimize it, don't let them chew on it, and make sure you don't start "tug of war" with her. A little pressure on the side of the lips when giving the drop command will get her to release. She'll develop a softer mouth as she goes, and during the force you can really correct any bad habits.

Good luck!

Ken

Thanks, guys. The scrub brush is waiting to become a retrievable. Her mouth isn't big enough to handle it yet. She'll pretty much retrieve anything thrown that's not bigger than her.

I have found in the last couple days that placing wings in a sock and letting them freeze works really well.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with these issues. I doubt I've spent as much time "stressing" about the development of my kids as I have my dog.