• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Anchors

Ears

Let us know how well they work... I've been thinking about getting some myself but have heard that they are a pain. Some guys bring along a cordless drill, but for me that's just one more thing to lug out on the ice.

Try this if you don't want to buy one. Tie two ropes on to a 18" piece of dowel or PVC, one in the middle, one on the end. Might have to drill holes in it to secure the ropes. Drill a hole 5' behind your shack, send the dowel down the hole a get it to wedge sideways by pulling on the center rope. Tie the center rope to your shack. When it's time to leave, pull on the other rope that is attached to the end, wrap it up and go clean fish.

I was thinking about getting some "iceloks" that they have on Cabelas, but I can't get beyond the price. $25 is a bit much for one of them. They seem like they would work well, so I might try and make something similar.

I use the ice anchors on my Clam 1060. They hold really well in the wind. The only problem I have is it can be hard to get them started in the ice, but once they take hold, they are solid. I bought a used cordless drill to make it easier and quicker. They have saved my portable from blowing away a few times already.

I bought four 8" concrete bolts that have a ring at the top instead of a hex head. I put a 4" long dowel through the ring to make the (T) handle. I stick one in each corner of my portable house when it's windy. Works great and the whole setup cost me a coulpe of bucks...less than $5. Everything was purchased at the corner hardware store.

The anchors are a little slow getting the first bite in the ice but once they get started they screw in pretty easily and stay put. cool.gif

I have used the clam ice-anchors for the last couple of years. They work well. You have to push down hard while turning at first, then they go in pretty easy and hold well. Clam also has a strap with a clip on it the bolts on to your sled for easy attachment to the anchors. I would recomend it,

I also use the 2 T-screws into the ice and have a quick snap on that end of the rope that goes to those. On the house end I have put two eye bolts on the back of the house and have quicksnaps on this end of my rope that snap into those eyebolts. Works slick and quicker than tieing off to your house. I think the T screws are sold by South Bend and were $2.99 for 2 at Marine General in Duluth. They also had the Clam ones but they were $12 and I didnt know how the plastic snaps would work in cold or when they got iced up.