• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Styrofoam in Portables

Jim Hudson

Anyone ever use this idea for the bottom of your portable to hold your gear? I have heard if you use a thick cut to fit chunk of styrofoam to put on the bottom of your shack it will hold your items fairly good while traveling. I guess after cutting to fit, you then just trace the items you want to haul in specific spots in your sled and cut out those areas of the styrofoam, ie propane tanks, flashers, etc etc. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck on this idea?

I have issues at times with hauling gear on long trips here on Lake Superior where some of the trips really can take its toll on your gear. I am always looking for new ideas to better hold my equipment in place while traveling across the ice. One of the biggest is trying to rig an auger mount to my sled to really hold the auger steady. I have tried welding a rack for the back of my sled, but I have an older skidoo safari and the weight is too much and bottoms out the springs. Trial and error so far.

Jim Im playing around with ideas on what styro to use and what thickness. Im thinking 1" should do. It sure seems like a great idea. May be time consuming to get everything laid out and outlined and cut out but I think that foam would hold it in place real well.