• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pups and Worms

CASTnBLAST

This pup has a large chest and paws,appears it's going to be a big dog but it does have the large belly which concerns me.Did get worming pills from the vet today,maybe this is just his physique though.Will have to see what happens,anyone have any idea of how long it might take to see a difference if the big tummy was due to worms?Supposed to give him another in 3 weeks,must be somewhat potent stuff.

I would expect for the pup to pass some worms within the first 3 days if it is going to. Keep an eye on those stools and make sure that you get rid of them as soon as possible. Just as a side note, I am assuming that this pup is up to date on all the neccassary shots. From my past experiences as a breeder, I have found that a pup that isn't wormed by 8 weeks probably hasn't had all the shots that he needs either. Just a thought. Good luck let me know how it goes.

The guy I got him from said he didn't like to give the pups any shots before 8 weeks.I'm bringing the pup in this weekend but wanted some input before then.They were born with naturally docked tails so I doubt if they have even seen a vet.Have been trying to contact the guy last couple days but no luck yet.Anyone heard of naturaly docked tails,new one for me?

My guess is that you are either treating with panacur or Ivomec. If it is Ivomec, that is some very strong stuff but will do the trick. Panacur will take a bit longer to work but is much more gentle on the pup. Either way good to here that you got it taken care of. As for the tail docs it is fairly common. About 50% of my rat terrior puppies are born with natural tail docks. I have never seen it yet in the larger breeds. I kinda figured that they hadn't had there shots yet. I hope the pup is healthy, it has been my experience that they have a harder time dealing with disease the older they get. I usually give the first set of shots at 5 weeks and then give a second dose at 8 weeks when the new owner picks the pup up.