• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod question... any thoughts on...

hulk

Question

How do I phrased this, In YOUR opinion what would be the

"best" rod for the least money? with material being wide open, fiberglass,composite,graphite, the reason I ask is I'm thinking of buying a large, heavier rod (surf rod?)for fooling around with next summer, I going to see just how far I can fling some baits, I know I'll be able to get that daredevle out there, but I like to really heave some rapalas even if I have to modify them with a little extra weight. so I geuss I looking for something in about the

7 to 8 foot range and will still be able to throw lures anywhere from 2 Onces to maybe the 5 onces range, I've been looking at Pinnacle rods, But I thought I look for other

opinions.

Appreciate it,

Hulk

2 answers to this question

Check out JR's Tackle. Joel may have something that you can use. I know that his line of rods cant be beat for the money. www.JRstackle.com Check with him at the Ice Show in St.Paul Dec. 3-5th and he can let ya know exactly what he has at the shop.

If Joel doesnt have anything that fits your needs I have a couple Rapala rods that I use and like for the $.

The 2-5 oz lure weight is a very big gap and one rod can't perform well in that wide of lure weight range. A perfectly matched casting rod setup to burn 2 oz weights a mile will not not have enough backbone to a lob 5 oz weight.

Taking into account your on a budget, Something like the 9.5' or 10' Pinnacle Tri Force would be good for the lighter 2 oz. stuff. For the heavier weights you might get by with a Steelhead and Salmon rod. When ever your looking at rods look on the blank and you'll see the lure weight. Its best to stay in that range.