• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's right?? (age to neuter)

ferd

My vet feels earlier is better--"He'll come in as a puppy, and leave as a puppy"--and wants to fix my yellow lab at 4 mos. of age. I talked with some trainers last week and they felt that I should wait until 6,7 mos. or more. I don't want to arrest any physical development by going too soon and don't want to deal with any of the irritating male patterns by waiting too long. My new buddy is going to spend a fair am't of time in-doors if that makes any difference, and he's got a great temperament so far. I intend to hunt him for pheasants and ducks. Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance,

Ferd

I think 4 months is way too soon. My vet performed the job at 9 months on my last male lab. I have not had any problems or unacceptable behaviors and I do not think he (the dog) ever had time to realize the difference!

I do not know the definitive answer to this question...some say to wait while others say as early as possible. I believe for males it should be done when they become sexually mature...nine months to a year old. Females from six to nine months since the surgical procedure is much more involved. Some even suggest that males shouldn't be done until they reach the age of two. These folks...I believe are dog breeding purest who suggest that missing hormones prohibit the development of muscle mass and keep male dogs from filling out and reaching full size potential and that muscle mass/tone is important regarding helping avoid early HD problems. In my day I have observed that fully intact male dogs exhibit more fully developed chest, shoulder and hind quarter muscle mass. While nuetered males tend to be thinner or leaner regarding muscle mass and possess higher pitched voices or barks. Another issue I have heard about regarding doing the procedure too early in males is bladder control. I had my pup done at nine months and he recovered from the procedure just fine without a hitch. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say regarding this topic.

I have a GSP/lab mix. He's HUGE!!!! I don't know if size really matters laugh.gif but since I'm not an animal expert, I listened to the advice of my vet.

My vet told me that usually he waits until a dog hits the 6 month old age before he neuters. However, because of the size of my pup he made him half the man he used to be at 4 months.

The vet asked me if I ever planned on breeding him. My answer was a very firm "no." Then he said the pup should be neutered as early as safely possible.

Once again, I'm no expert by any means. I'm just relaying the info passed on to me from my vet. Whom, I should add, I have all the confidence in the world to give good advice.

I just had my pup neutered at 6 months, per the vet's recomendations...

No noticeable change in attitude or drive... heck, I don't think he noticed it either! (Although, how could he not notice.. I cringed when I dropped him off... poor guy)