• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's workin' now : ICE

Corey Bechtold

Well it's almost here and I thought it would be nice to start this topic. How does everyone intend to start the Ice fishing season? I hope to locate an early shallow Crappie bite and see if I can sight fish some slabs. Horizontal jigs that I have made need to be testes along with some of the newer plastics that have hit the market. I hope everyone has a safe Ice fishing season and finds some good fish to boot!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Mackeral, You say you have developed Frankenjig with testes? Must be for the big old good ones, or the good old big ones! grin.gif

Seriously, I for one am glad you started this....unless I get crippled, or killed, I will be a regular contributor throughout the winter, right up to black ice!

Ick. An ice fishing thread.

I'll be in the boat on the lake Sunday smile.gif

I doubt I will buy equipment for ice fishing. I know I'm missing out, but I'm not a cold weather guy....

I will be fishing as long as I'm not breaking ice.

It's almost December & no ice yet....hopefully we'll have a short winter.

P.S. Let us know if the testicle jigs do any good. blush.gif

Ice will be a change of pace. I want to try some more Florocarbon lines this winter and see if they work better. I also have some of that bungee cord line (Cajun) that is red but might work good on the ice. What line does everyone else prefer for Ice fishing? My mainstay has been Berkley Trilene Micro Ice. Some 1lb, 2lb, and mostly 3lb is on my rigs.

Corey Bechtold

Corey, I bought some 4lb Cajun Red Cast this year - looks like good stuff, very limp and supple. As far as the teste jigs, I think there is a HSOforum that sells a "Richard Jig" You can imagine what it's shaped like! LOL! Only seems to catch female fish...

My hope for early ice is that the two small lakes I'm trying out produce for me. Both are 100 acres, and have max depths of 42-44 feet. Great weedline at 15' on the one, looks pretty promising.

Berkley also has a new line of Vanish (Transition?)that is gold in color out of the water. They don't have it in pony spools yet and the larger spools are 15-20 bucks. A little spendy to just get some to try but it might be worth it for Ice fishing.

I'll double check the price and see if there are any pony spools out there.

Corey Bechtold

Well I just got off the phone with the nice people at Berkley/Pure Fishing and they told me that they do not have the Vanish Transition in the pony spools. The smallest amount of line they offer is a 250 yd spool that retails for 14.99. The smallest lb test they have is 4lb. I might pick up some and give it a try. This stuff would be great for on the Ice because of it's color above water.

If there is anything else that is new or we should all look at for ice fishing let us know. Gotta love new stuff grin.gif

Corey Bechtold

I use 4lb Trilene. I just get too many nicks and dings in my line from wind blowing it into the ridgid ice chunks that are frozen around the hole. I am going to try P-Line this year though.

Winter upon us, not many chances to splash around with the beachball anymore. grin.gif

I was looking at the ice fishing lines and have come to the conclusion that I either need to learn how to handle 2 lb test line or go with an 8 lb braided (with a 2 lb diameter). But wouldn't the braided line bother the fish since they'll see it?

As much ice fishing as I have done, I hav'nt mastered fishing with 2# test. It is pretty challenging, thats no lie!

Outside it is even moreso as the slightest little hang up on an ice chip seems to break it?

Retying lures after a few fish presents another set of problems....without my glasses, I can barely see to put a key in a lock and with my glasses, I'am apt to break my neck walking, within the first 4 steps!

Not really, but knots with that stuff has always been a problem for me, I cinch it up and "Boink"....retie!

To much work for my liking, I'll stick to the 4# test and if I feel I need something thinner, I'll go to another brand of higher quality 4# test!

If I lost a big bull gill in the hole due to 2# test breaking, I'd whallop my own self over the head with the ice scoop! grin.gif

The 8/2 powerpro ice, is great line, use it on all my ice rods, its very limp and sheds water quite well. The only downside to it is that its not great for hole hopping out of your fish house when its cold. It holds enough water to freeze up on your spool much worse that monofilament line. I use a small swivel and tie on a 4lb flourocarbon leader and have had great success with it. Tried straight flourocarbon on the spool but its so darn stiff it and has a lot of memory. I talked to a tackle rep and was told flourocarbon was and still is, geared towards leader material, its very hard and resists abrasion.

Fisherdog

Hopefully, after this week-end, I will be able to tell you what is working and if not that, at least what was tried, because I'm going nuts and I'm gonna find some ice somewhere?

I have convinced my nephew to come with me, if for no other reason then to hold the other end of the rope!

We have a few days to add to what we already have on the lakes, so I'm gonna give it a shot!

The earliest our crew has ever been ice fishing is Thanksgiving day, most of the time it is the week-end after, so I believe we are going to have a normal ice year as everything seems to be on schedule?

We may have to move north a little bit, but I do believe we will be fishing!

Yeah, I was wondering what's working now. So, when the ice is thick enough, where do I find the fish... as in, what sort of location within the body of water? I know I'll find them under the ice.

Lost...You hit this site pretty good and I'm sure you read the thread "? About Crappies" there is some dyno info in those posts, they pretty much tell it all?

Armed with all that intel, a lake map, a locator, a good breakfast and a pocket and bucket of bait, you'll be on them dudes faster then you think! grin.gif

Made it out in the Aitkin area, and while conditions are spotty and variable, I found some 4" ice to venture out on.

Found Crappies in 27 feet of water near an outlet, right on the breakline, suspended down 20 feet. Small 1/16oz jigging spoons and pink/white ratso's brought in the fish, and tipping with a maggot or two increased the productivity.

Size range was pretty good, and I had a limit of 11"-13" Crappies pretty quickly.

Alot of lakes in the area I fished have very questionable ice at best, and extreme caution needs to be headed. I was fishing on 4 inches of ice, and 50 yards away was 1/2 inch.

Some cold weather would be nice, but it sure was good to be back on the ice catching a few slabs. smile.gif

Well, since there isn't any safe Ice to be found this weekend I might have to take out the boat. I was just wondering...if the lakes don't have Ice and the water temps are low, will the fish be relating to their early Ice spots of free roaming the open water? This sounds like a easy question to answer but is really quite complex when you think of it. Let's see what comes up. This should be interesting.

Corey Bechtold