• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Timer for DL

I have never been to Devil's Lake and was thinking of taking my Fiance up for a couple of days of ice fishing at the end of Dec. Will there be ice for driving or ATV? What is the best way to travel on the lake? Truck, ATV or Snowmbile at that time of year. What can I expect to catch? Any help would be appreciated? I saw a lot of pictures and am pumped. Last year I talked her into a overnite at Red Lake on Valentines and we didn't slay them like you hear so I want to make sure we catch some fish when we go.

Neico,

THis year it looks like we are going to be running a little behind schedule but by the end of Dec. we will be traveling by ATV for sure. Last year early ice was the best fishing I have ever seen on Devils Lake. I think the rest of the year would have been just as good but the all the snow really limited where we could go. Mobility is the key on Devils Lake and if you are going to do it without a guide you have to keep up on recent fishing reports and what they have been hitting on. The lake is so big that it can be overwhelming so pick a couple bays that have been producing fish and fish them hard. If you stay mobile and fish small areas you will get into some good jumbo perch fishing. Once the ice is on, I will have updated fishing reports every other day. Send me an e-mail if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Jeff, Thanks for the info and I will be watching. I still have to convince her to do the 5 hour drive for the big perch. She reminds me of Red last year and I said this would be more productive. How is the walleye and Pike around that time?

A 5 hour drive to catch Jumbo perch isn't that bad. Most of the people that I take out drive 8-12 hours or longer because they know how much fun it can be when you really get into the big ones. The great thing about early ice is that most species of fish are still using the cover of the vegetation. A lot of times we catch perch,walleyes and pike in the same location in Dec.. As winter goes on perch and walleyes tend to move deeper and pike will stay in the shallows but will not be very aggressive. I think the best part of early ice perch fishing is that your fishing in shallow water(5-20ft) and the perch are very aggressive.

Cold temps are forecasted this weekend and the ten day forecast looks cold so hopefully we have ice soon.

Think Ice!