• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter tent set-up

Timber

I just purchased an Otter Cabin tent, etc and put it together. I had some difficulty "taking it down". It has square tubing and they would not slide easily into one another. Should a person lubricate them with something? Also, when down it doesn't actually fit inside the sled. Is this normal? How do you protect the windows so they don't crease when folded?

Thanks!

It suggests in the assembly instruction that you should use some kind of lubricant.I can't remeber what was suggested but I sprayed a just little bit of WD40 on mine last year so it didn't get all messy.I figured I would put more on if needed.The one little squirt did the trick for the rest of the season.

The shelter should fit on top of the tub and not inside it.As you breakdown each support,push the fabric in towards the tub.The fabric will bunch up on the ends,but I never had any problems with the windows creasing when I went to open it up again.

Do a search on this topic I believe there was a lot of good info on it back about a month or so. I would take some fine sandpaper or steelwool and run it on the poles that slide in the others of course. Then I would use some teflon or silicone spray to lube them up. Not a lot just enough to get the inside of the female tube lubed up. Make sure there are no burs on any of the poles but this should have been done at the factory. At times things get missed though.

I cant wait for my Mag Lodge! Enjoy your new house.

I've wrestled with mine many times in wind, ice freezing on poles, etc. Havn't had any luck with lubricants but I'm sure if I didn't abuse it so much it I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Has anyone tried graphite? My biggest problem has been getting the poles to slide at the same time if they do it works great. After being used awhile the poles want to bind and so I must push on each side individually. Kinda a pain but I still love the house.

Yeah, I only lubed my frame once or twice last season. You do not need a lot, just a squirt of WD-40 did it. I like WD-40 because it was clear and it would not stain the canvas in the worse case scenario. Plus, if it gets on your hands people swear that fish are attracted to WD-40. grin.gif

I have heard a thing or two about WD-40! grin.gif

I've had my Otter for about 3 years now and I've had a problem with it once where I couldn't get a pole to slide back down. It was mighty cold that day! -10 and below. I would like to add that I've never lubricated the poles with anything whatsoever.

I had the same problem with mine and it took a while to get them operating smoothly. If the poles don't slide well, don't force them. You are creating burrs or bending the poles and this will only complicate the problem (I learned this the hard way). I had to take all the poles apart and sand the burrs off the "male" end as well as McGivor a bit that held sandpaper to sand off the burrs inside the female tube. Then I applied a little WD-40 and they work like a dream.

My dad bought one soon after I did and I lubed his poles prior to putting it together for the first time - as stated in the directions. His has two finger operation.

Since then, I have sort of become the neighborhood "shack-put 'er together guy" and have assembled 3 or 4 more. I lubed all prior to assembly and all work real well.

Good luck getting yours fixed. There's nothing worse than fighting your equipment setting up or tearing down when it's freezing cold.

I agree FT. Very durable. I fished in some NASTY wind a couple of times last year. My shack was getting rocked all over the place.

I just set mine up 2 days ago for the first time since one of those windy days on Upper Red last spring. Everything is in fine working order - no tears, no bent parts.