• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line guide freeze ups.

aquafang

Hey Auqafang, I don't know if there is ananything that you can spray on the line guides or not. But, I thought of an invention that would entail a hollow cork rod handle that could hold a couple of batteries. Then run some wired heating elements along the rod and around the guides. What do ya think?

I have seen these rods someplace before but I think it only heats the handle. Also know of a heated bobber made in Aurora Mn. I hope to be testing the prototype on ice this winter. Could be a great deal for keeping your holes open.

i was thinking of something like cooking oil or another thing but wouldnt that leave a scent on the line? i dont know if it would for sure but im thinking it would and i dunno if those crappies like cooking oil as much as people do.

RR56

Let me know when you guy's have this one figured out and I'll also take my fair share. I would like to have a couple ice rods made with fly rod guides, they ice up also but de-ice much easier than the traditional round guide!!

Dan, I was just thinking the same thing. But I'd have hollow eyelets with the heating element/wire inside the eyelet. What do you think of that one? Maybe we can submit our idea patent together!

Hey Lost,

Great idea! I also think we would need some kind of button like the buzz stix have for ice fishing. That way the heater wouldn't run steady and wear out batteries so fast. Also do you think there would have to be some kind of thermostat to regulate how much heat/current would go to the elements? I thought of this idea while fishing down in Red Wing in the boat during the winter. That kind of fishing gives a whole new meaning to the definition of cold.

bhorn has the right idea. Rell Magic is good stuff. It's a lubricating spray that is odorless. I have sprayed it on my line, reels, guides, everything. I've heard it keeps line in great condition too. I've gotten it at Gander...about $4.