• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Corn Blues

In farm country has anyone experienced bad hunting as I did? Last year 2 of us shot our 5 deer in 2 days this year after 3 full days in the woods yet to see a deer. Sign and Tracks everywhere, but the deer are like ghosts. There are 200+ acres of corn still in aroung our hunting area. I am assuming that is to blame. Any pointers on how to get the deer moving? What should I do? Where should I hunt along the corn, along the bedding areas where. Anyone have simular experience. I hunted east of North Branch MN.

We hunt near Isanti so we're pretty close. This was the first year the corn was left in and from gun hunting and the times I have bow hunted there this year it has been the opposite for us. I have seen more deer than ever before. However, the corn field isn't 200 acres and we have alot of woods and swamp land that we hunt. To me, it seemes that lately the deer have been moving from the swamps, through the woods and out to the corn in the evenings. I would set up on a trail leading to your corn field, but that seems obvious. Also, I found the biggest scrape I have ever seen on my way into my stand Friday evening. When I came out it had fresh doe pee in it. This was right on the edge of the corn field next to the swamp seperated by a thin strip of woods. You might want to check the edges of the field and set up near good sign. Another option would be to hunt a water source if you have one.

Good Luck,

Joel

Joel,

I was hunting the swamp edges the main trail to where they enter it from the woods. Last year with the corn out we saw 6 deer just on opening day. I saw 2 bucks and 3 does last year on opening day. I also hunted the woods along the side where the corn is. There was 3 scrapes and a rub on this trail. Still nothing. I hunted 3 whole days in my 2 stands and will be this Thurs thru Sunday as well. Hopefully they will start moving. I can't believe. This is the worst year we have had in the last 15. And it isn't like there is no deer. As much or more sign than usual. Guess I was just wondering if the corn is the reason for this luck. Thanks, I will right back after the season to fill you in what happend. Also, did you have luck this weekend then since you saw that Big Scrape?

It sounds like you're doing the right things. I bet that 200 acres of corn is where they have decided to bed down. Don't get too discouraged. Things should settle down mid week and you should start seeing deer. You could slowly walk the corn peeking down each row as you go with the wind in the right direction and on a windy day. I got lucky this weekend. I had a shot at a 9pt Friday night with my bow but shot between his legs, but ended up shooting him just as it was getting light Saturday with the trusty old A-5. Our group did well also. I think the corn really kept the deer in our area. Our corn field is probably only about 60-80 acres though. If they want to hide by us they lay down in the swamp. Good luck and let me know how you do!

Joel

i've put in my share of time stalking corn fields while bow hunting. From experience i've noticed that deer favor shorter corn over taller, probably so they can see predators better. and that when bedding they like corn that has "weed problems", meaning it makes a nicer place for them to bed.

They also seem to spend more time near the edges of corn fields, in large corn fields, the farther into the middle you go the less tracks you'll find

when stalking corn just start on the down wind side and slowly walk across the rows peering down them until you've felt you've covered the whole field.

binoculars are a must when doing this, you may be surprised how well they blend into the corn rows, they are also not always bedded, they will feed anytime during the day if they are in fact using the corn field as their bedding area