• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is any week better than the next for Spring Turkey

Shwangman

I have only Turkey hunted once and I believe we went the third season but, did not hunt and ended up with a leftover like the 2nd to the last season and could not get the birds to come out of the woods. Just wondering what's everybody else's thoughts are on which season they perfect. Thanks.

It's really tough to guess which season to apply for. The earlier seasons may have birds fired up or they may be still laying low, depending on the weather, generally, though, earlier seasons are favored by those who apply because the potential is there for birds to be fired-up. I have hunted 4 years in the second to last season, mid-late May and it has been tough. The first year, birds were fired up and came in easily, in other years, I had to go to the birds to bag one. Later seasons are easier to get into, IMO, but may be tougher hunting, but, let's face it, turkeys aren't dumb no matter what the season. Scout, scout and scout some more and you'll find birds to work. Guess this all means, pick a season, and a second choice and hope you get a tag, get a tag, and get at 'em! Best of Luck.

The answer is probably "yes" but it is all based on personal opinion. The earlier seasons can be very good simply because the Tom's haven't heard a lot of calling or seen a lot of hunters/decoys/activity. If the weather is on the warmer than normal side for the early seasons, they can be very, very good. The later seasons usually hold warmer weather and the warmer the better to make those big boys fall in love! The flip side is the fact they may have been exposed to the call and other activity which makes them very hard to pull in. To sum it up, if I was hunting public ground, I would go early and take my chances with the weather. If I had private ground to hunt, I would probably hold off for a middle/later season.

I've hunted both early and late and both can be productive. Early seasons are fun because typically, the Toms respond to the call and are aggressive. While the late seasons can be tougher, you can score if you put in your time and scout the birds. Turkeys are creatures of habit. They'll usually follow the same general path every day unless something disturbs them or they're hot after hens. Watch where they're going each day and set up in their path. You won't need a decoy or a call, they'll naturally come to you. It's worked for me!

Good luck, all!

I agree with the above posts, but would offer an alternative thought; the best season to hunt is the season you can get a tag for with the most certainty. I'd rather at least chase after the things during the last season, than not get a chance at all!

Generally speaking, you can run into agressive birds early given good weather, and later you can run into tougher birds to hunt for a number of reasons. However, IMO, given enough land, and different gobblers to strike out after, you'll eventually find a bird ready to come to the call. I'm lucky enough to run alot of private land, so that may temper my opinion, and may not make that case true for yourself. Don't be afraid to leave that group of 3 big gobblers strutting with 7 hens for a lonely-loner.

The question then may become, how do you select the season that gives you the best opportunity to draw a tag? That comes down to a matter of permit area, and the application tendencies of others in the area you hunt. Talk to other hunters, go to registration stations and look at the records of turkeys taken, talk to landowners, study the amount of tags given out per area, etc. Dig deep enough and you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Joel