• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beavertail mud motors

Where can a guy see one of these and get some input on them!I would like to try or see one out in the marsh! Also how big of one does a guy need on a 1442 jon boat! Anyone know of one for sale anywhere, new or used? Someone talk to me! I am thinking I NEED one of these! Thanks in advance!

Rainman

My hunting buddy has one on his 16 ft boat. Its 24 horse I do believe and works great. We can go right through standing cattails if there is a couple inches of water. A guy by St. Peter sells them if you want I can get you a name and number. Once you buy one of these you will never duck hunt without one. grin.gif

My father got a 6hp model and put it on our jon boat.

I WAS AMAZED at what it could go through.

Vegetation that would foul an ordinary outboard the second you lowered the lower unit into the mud/weeds didn't even make the Beavertail miss a beat. As long as there's enough water to float the boat, this motor will propel you. I didn't think it possible with all the wild rice & marsh grass, but was pleasantly suprised. We were able to get to places never before thought possible.

What you need to ask yourself is do you want to get to the edge of the weeds fast with a big outboard only to waste time and sweaty energy pushpoling/rowing into the weeds or just move at a moderate speed all the way to where you want to go with little to no effort.

PJ

there is a couple reasons why I don't have beaver tail motor. the number one thing is that it doesn't have reverse and try picking up decoys in 40 plus winds when you can't turn it takes a mile to turn its loud. plus they a way to expensive for my thin wallet. I would need like a 25 or larger to get the speed for boat that I would desire. I'm sure there are good reasons to have one but the places i hunt I don't need one. If I can't get there I will use my push pole or go get my conoe. I just have an evirude 25 on my boat with a makeshift riser on it so that the prop is just under the water. it is a short shaft so that helps to. I clean out the motor with ear plugs at home if I go thrugh some thick stuff but I have never had problems getting t where I think there r ducks.

My buddy has the 6.5hp on a 12ft boat and like others have said if you can float the boat in mud/water it'll go through it and vegetation is no problem. We have hopped right over beaver dams quite a few times, too scared to try jumping a beaver lodge though.

It all matters if you need a motor like that to go through the "stuff" to get to yer' huntin' spots.

You can get them right at the factory in Avon, MN, north of St. Cloud.

I beleive jims number is 507-934-4188. I boat my duck boat from this guy a few years ago. He looks like phil robertsons brother. real nice guy he'll hook you up with just about eveything to get you to get them in close. he also build skybuster blinds if you need one of those.