• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Legal question

I hope some our knowlegable readers can give me some insight on this.

My friends son shot a nice buck with his bow. Now he bought a license to go on the 3A season which is bucks only. Now, if a guy can only register on buck a year, how can he even legally buy a bucks only tag?

Dan. I think the regs are pretty clear that you can only tag one buck a year, whether its bow, rifle or muzzleloader. If you question is "how can your friend even buy a license, after registering his 1st buck?" that easy. There is no restriction on buying more than one type of license. For example, many people buy an archery tag and firearm tag. I have, but it doesn't mean that I can shoot two bucks. I am simply taking a risk that my firearm tag goes unused, because the day before the rifle season, I may arrow a buck. Heck, your friend knew that he already got a buck, so why did he but another tag? Just because you were able to buy one (i.e., a second tag) does not entitle you to a second buck. When in doubt read the regs.

"Legally" I don't think you can buy that tag. I have an archery license. I intend to buy a firearms license. I can't go and buy a muzzleloading license if I don't fill my firearms license. I had called the DNR and they told me being I have an archery license, I need to either choose a firearms or muzzleloading license. I can't buy both. But if in doubt give the DNR a call. They are pretty good at answering questions.

Zark,

He is buying the buck's only tag so he can party hunt with his dad and me. My way of thinking is he can't use the site tag on his license but he can still hunt right?

I just thought that since he already registerd a buck the E.L.S. might have had some kind of red flag pop up and say he couldn't buy a bucks only license since he already registerd a buck

Right, You cannot buy both a muzzleload lic. and a seperate firearms lic. On your firearms tag you have to pick the muzzleloader option in order to hunt during the muzzleloader season. Thus, you would be buying two of the same Lic. (i.e., firearms) but your just choosing diffrent options, (firearm season v. muzzleloader season). As I read it, during the firearms season you can use either a rifle, or muzzleloader. You cannot, however, use a rifle during muzzleloader. I am pretty sure that you can also purchase an archery lic. regardless of what option you choose on your firearms tag. I have and have never gotten been told otherwise and/or cited. The safest bet is to go with the all season tag that does allows all of the above.

Ooops. Bad english. "I have never been told otherwise and/or cited". I think your plan for party hunting is OK, but ask a C.O. to be sure, because you can't use the kids firearms tag on any deer, unless he purchased also bonus tag for a doe.