• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tough starting Vinson

styx

I am having trouble with my 04 vinson. I use it mostly for snow plowing and ice fishing. I tried to start it today after not running most of the summer and had a tough time getting it to run. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this ? Should I start it up occasionally or add any Stabil ?

More than likely your gas has gone bad. I just bought a wheeler this summer and I told the salesman that I would be mainly using it in the winter because I wanted to see if I could do anything to make sure it started when it gets cold. The first thing out of his mouth was "make sure you keep fresh gas in it" he said even if your gas is just a few weeks old it can have an affect on the way it runs. It has something to do with oxygenated vs. non-oxyganated gas and they way that they break down at different rates. confused.gif Here is a thread that might help to explain it a little more.

=http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB30&Number=267850&Forum=f30&Words=amsoil&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=267833&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=1&oldertype=w&bodyprev=#Post267850]

Hope this helps

arbuck

I have two Vinsons and have never had that problem, but I run them alot. Stabil or Seafoam for sure, also there is a primer switch on your tank, turn it to prime than start it then turn it back to normal, check your manual it will explain it a little better. It's there just for that reason if you don't run very offen or you run out of gas. But Stabil for sure. Hope this helps, Good luck. Why is this page so wide?

If you have not run it most of the summer you have a partically plugged pilot curcuit and the carb needs to be cleaned. other wise it will be a hard starter until this is fixed. The problem with oxy fuel is it breaks down faster due to lack of pure fuel. the ethenol in the fuel it the problem not the fuel. Basically the varnish starts to build in just a couple of weeks and wella you now have a corn field in your carb. stabil only works for about 30 to 60 days, sea foam does a lot better. but at this point neither will do any good. drain your fuel and clean the carb. then add the sea foam. Also the prime feature on the petcock is not a primer. It allows the fuel to by pass the vacumm part of the system, if you use this option be sure to turn is back to on or res, or it will continually push fuel into the carb and past it into the motor and into the crankcase. Ust it only for starting purposes.

thanks for the useful advice guys. I will have to try them out.

I am not sure why this thread is so wide. I notified the moderator so maybe they can help narrow it back to normal.