• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Drives - Not your Fathers Version

John_Ted_Carrier

Howdy Fellow Hunters,

Do any of you "drive" deer? Do you consider it ethical? I like to drive deer, but not in the way you all think. I don't like to line up 15 guys in each side of a small woodlot and drive. I like to have two or three guys that slowly creep around the woods in a semi coordinated fashion bumping deer to one another. I usually also do this with a bow, raising the level of sport. Bumping deer is a lot better than driving deer anyway, isn't it easier to shoot at a somthing not moving at a dead sprint? Well let me know!!

God Bless the spirit of the wild

-"Ted"

My group does drives. They are your fathers verion. It is a 100 year old tradition. When I started 25 years ago we drove from sun up to sun down. Now we make 2 drives on the weekends, it gets harder each year because of posted land.

Ethical? As long as we dont ruin other peoples hunt I see no problem with it. It is not an easy task to hit one at 100 yards going full bore.

We do get more deer from our stands, but we will continue to keep the tradition.

I think it is tough to make a call that any one way is "better" than another.

I definately agree with you, it is totally about tradition... I was not meaning to bash drives, I also used to do them when I started hunting gun, but lack of numbers has stopped it. And as far as slow moving deer go, trying to hit a full tilt deer with a bow is IMPOSSIBLE! And if not, at least not a shot that is worth trying with my skill. Sorry if you were offened....

Keep the spirit wild,

-"Ted"

the drives we do are similar to the ones you do. we have about 2 or 3 on stand and another 2 or 3 guys walking slowly and quietly. the objective is not too have the deer running full bore but to just get them moving in a certain direction. i dont like the hard push type of drives... it makes it hard to be selective about what you shoot when all you see is a brown blur. i think ive actually shot more deer walking then on stand when we do this.

I agree, I think I have seen more deer doing this, than goign through hard, but to each is his own of course!! It all depends on what you are comfortable with. Still though, I think that the best way to get a truly giant monarch is on the stand.

LIVE WILD

-"Ted"