• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Use your nose, Trust your nose.....

LuciandTim

I've been out with Luci three times this year and I feel that she is doing really good. She has found birds, trailed birds, and flushed birds. She knows what she is doing and she loves it. There is one thing that she did on October 2nd at a game farm that worries me still today:

It was late in the day and she was really tired. It was the last outting for the night. She wasn't really even hunting, more like just walking along. She was beat. We were walking a long a brush/thick grass line and I kept trying to get her to hunt but she was just too tired. At one point her tail began to go and I knew she was smelling a bird. She kept going back over the area but lost interest or maybe I kept walking. Well eventually we finished the field and we walked back. This time someone else and a dog were wakiong the same area Luci and I had just walked, I was watching and their dog began to get very birdy and rushed into the thick stuff. This was the same spot Luci was acting birdy. This other dog did flush a rooster! The part that worries me is why didn't Luci pursue this scent, I mean there was a bird there! Does her nose not work? Does she not trust herself yet? Do I need to give her more time? Doe she know what she is smelling for? I just get worried. What are your thoughts on this. I read an article in this months Minnesota sportman magazine about testing a dog nose. She passes those tests with flying colors. any thoughts, thanks.

You need to stop worrying so much. She was probably tired, maybe distracted, maybe she didn't get a big enough hit of the scent, maybe you walked ahead of her and she just wanted to keep pace. She has poven to you that she has a good nose and knows why you and her are out in the field...that should be enough. There isn't a dog on the face of this earth that has nailed every single bird each and every time out. You and her are in it for the long haul...she is still just a pup and even if she was in her prime...one missed bird is still okay in my book!

I agree don't worry. You said it at the beginning of your post . She finds birds. She was probably just tired and so were you. When Charlie is dead tired and I see him get birdy I have to follow on his heels and push a little. If I walk away he wont pursue as hard as when he's full of energy.

Over time I have learned to just follow his lead. When he gets birdy it's because there is a bird there. That simple but It took a while to learn to follow him and not try to make him go where I think he should.

Does that make any sense? I'm tired! smirk.gif

Yeah, I guess I do over react a bit. Hunting behind the dogs I grew up with spoiled me. I have also heard horror stories about dogs that just didn't hunt. My dog being a mix makes me sometimes skeptical. I know what she can do though so I shouldn't worry. I can't wait to get out again!!

I feel so bad. Luci doesn't have a job, she could go any day and I know she wants too!

Now you guys are talking! I tend to expect to much out of Buddy. I guess that is just my competitive perfectionist nature. As gun dog owners we just have to be confident we have done the very best we could in nuturing and cultivating our dogs to be the best field companions possible. A good gun dog/field companion does not equal the best nose, staunches points, perfect hand retrieves, unrelenting energy or drive. Buddy is never going to be a field champion. He is going to make stupid mistakes. He is not the biggest or the strongest. Not the fastest or the quickest. Not always obedient and sometimes mischevious. But there is nothing on this earth I enjoy more then watching him work the fields. He works hard and has fun doing it. That's what it's all about...fun and teamwork, not how many birds we kill or whether we have the best dog. So - Tim...next time out, just relax, enjoy, soak it in, put everything in perspective and be proud of a job well done! Okay...I'm off my soap box...sorry for the lecture I know this isn't GUNDOG 101!

Your dog just burned it's bacon for the day. This happens to a lot of dogs, even field champions. The key to minimizing this is to get it in the best shape possible before season starts. Take short breaks during the day and give it plenty of water. I wouldn't worry about it. Every dog has it's day.