• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question?? PLEASE READ THIS POST

A friend of the family's 15 year old has been diagnosed with Lukemia and his mom asked me to take him hunting. I could really use some help here. I usually hunt around Sherburne Nat'l Forest with a little success. I heard south of Monticello there is a island on the Mississippi that is public land... Does anyone know this area?

I was thinking that this would be good for him to hunt there and also throw out a minnow or two.

This will be his first hunt; his father left about a year ago and was a big hunter (worst hunter) and I have tried to help here and there.

Any advice would be helpful - Don't feel like you have to give away a honey hole... just want to get him some more shooting then I am used to. His gun would be the only one in the boat/field.

Thanks all for your time. I will let you know Monday how it went.

You should be able to get some shooting there. the biggest concern is your boat. The terrain is treacherous...and there's a very good chance you'll tear up your gearcase and/or prop...and possibly tear a hole in your boat!

Been there...done that...several times!

Be careful, and good luck.

Yes there are a couple of very good areas to hunt around that area. If you would like we could definitly go out -- although not this weekend (dam foosball tournement). Anytime during the week. I also have a couple of fields in the area as well. I am sorry to hear about his diagnosis. You can reach me easiest at 763-767-1126. My home number.

Thanks SimCox, I wanted to take him out the weekend before his treatments start - heard he will be rather weak when they start. But thank you VERY much for the offer!!!!

See how hunters stick together...

I always used to hunt the islands. but now they are posted scientific and natural areas. you can still find some smaller islands that are not. Be sure to scout, you don't want to be out in the boat before it gets light without knowing exactly where you are going (Bring your fishing pole and some jigs with twister tails, the walleyes should be biting). I have had some luck in the sherburne national wildlife refuge earlier in the seoson on the st. francis river. good luck

I was looking at a hunters atlas and it said that the islands that i was thinking of were SNA areas. Thanks for the heads up. Any other ideas??? Less then 12 hours to plan. I do suck at planning.

yes you can hunt there you will need a boat of some sort......the only way i know of to get a boat in is down a pretty steep hill. it is actually a river/slough that meanders through there. if you go, don't park at the lot, park on the road...you will have to look and find the trail off of the county road everyone has been using. but it is the better route. there are signs just off the road designating it as WMA.

So we went out on Sat. on the Mississippi. Cold rainy- basicall a nice duck hunting day normally. We set up and there was another couple guys down river. I set out 100 decoys and 4 spinner wing decoys.

They started shooting at everything and anything. Geese that

were so far away you could not hear them!

First bird that came in was a pintail. Had to stop him from shooting. Couple mallards that he missed....

Hear it comes a BULL CANVASBACK. (I have not even shot one) One shot and it went down. I jumped up and got in the boat to get it... Did not see the flock of 20 mallards coming in.

We cooked out on the island and had a great time. Brining the bird into a taxidermist on Monday. In total he shot

2 mallards (one hen- I'll put in the $1.00)

I want to thank all who tried to help me this weekend. I really want to thank knucklehead for an offer he made. I encourage everyone here to give him a thank you! Kevin, I'll be coming down to hunt at your place.