• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

30" Walleye Caught - SE MN - Root River

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Jim W was fishing for smallies and caught a 30" Walleye in the Root River. Not generally known for producing even small eyes. It's actually just a big stream.

jim-30incheye-101804.jpg

You can see the progression of the type of fishing Jim was doing and what he was using or at least gives enough info to make an educated guess at the link below.

How Do You Catch a Walleye in a Stream they call a River - CLICK HERE

With any luck Jim will share his story here.

just goes to show that monster fish can be caught anywhere, just like the muskie tread going right now on the muskie forum about 60" muskie on a Metro Lake, Anything is possible. Nice Fish! AJ

Thanks!

I am still blown away! She swims as I write! My personal wall goal has been 30, but coming from my favorite river I just had to return the favor!

Actually, I was targeting sauger in expectations of a sand pike dinner. IN the past I have found smallish sized sauger in late Fall. Not a lot of fish, but a few here and there for a taste.

I have now caught 3 walleye from the Root River! YEhaaa!

If you want to spend some time searching for them....first good luck!lol They are not as prolific as the smallmouth and trout that inhabit these waters, but with out a dam stopping any migration from the Mississippi a few have made their way!

Plastics plastics plastics!

Ringworms have been my steadfast in the Fall wading for members of the perch family!

This fish was caught on 4lb test and a ultralight rod.

As small as the hole was, when she first made her appearance, I believe my heart stopped AND I had to check my waders!lol

Sand breaks, near current seams, just like on larger water.

1/8 oz. chart jig tipped with a dark purple with blue fleck ringie!

All in all,

I wouldn't set out expecting to catch a walleye from the Root, but ya just never know!

PLEASE PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE!!!!! PLEASE!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim, darn nice eye.

I have no doubt you caught this on the Root especially if you were fishing below the "Power [commercial-or-naughty-word]". I haven't for many years but we would float the Root from the [commercial-or-naughty-word] down to Bluff Valley Camp Grounds and then down to Hammond the next day. We always took along some crawlers and fished the deeper holes for Walleye & Sauger. Picked up quite a few, our personal best was about 3 lbs.

Did this 3 - 4 times a year for several years and always picked up enough eyes' to feed a couple of families.