• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WINNIPEG RIVER

I have not heard much about the Peg, but the reports filtering in from the Red sound very encouraging to me.

Stu's guides at Cats on the Red have had a very good week, with Greenbacks up to 33".

Yup-Yup...I got the itch to be up there real soon again Eh!

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

Thanks Ed, I certainly would like to get back up there for some action. A 33" Grennback, now that's a nice fish. Considering that last time we had one that was just over 28" and 11lbs. It certainly didn't take me long to realize why they are called Greenbacks. what a beautiful fish!!

The word is Jig'n salty's in the shallows has been the most consistent producer. You hear of a few more nice fish each day.

My theory is for every 1 big Greenback you do hear about now, there are 8 more you will not hear about. Or, if and when you do, it will be long after the ice hits and tight lips loosen up a bit. wink.gif

I think early season ice fishing will be very interesting this season?

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

We just came from the Red, did so so in a lot of cold rain.

But the good word is the Peg has been very hot, big fish and numbers of them. One group from Canada we spoke with had 40 over #8 in one day...UF-Da! We also caught tails of some catch's nearly as strong so there must be more then a bit of truth to the rumors.

If the weather was not so tough this weekend we would have went farther North and tried it. If we get stable conditions I would sure say think hard about the Peg before it freezes up.

My buddy Jim Johnson scored a Sumo Hog Greenback last Saturday off the Peg, like #15.1 worth of sumo. Check this out ...Eh!

037786.jpg

Ya..that is a sumo!

The deal is I hear there are many more like that being caught if you brave the bay. If it is windy that Traverse Bay gets rowdy quickly, it takes a larger rig to ride it out. The weather looks like it will turn to sheet by the weekend again so a guy better go soon or wait and see if it clears next week.

They usually start ice fishing on the Red first. Someplace from the Selkirk Park out to the lake is first to be tested. Last season the areas from Sugar Island to the end of main were first and that was sometime near our Thanksgiving Day holiday. Then the flats near the Stem Plant get tested once the ice sets up better. Most of the same hot spots now will be hit hard latter at first ice.

Depends on the flow and the weather but some time between T-Day and X-mass they will be on in force. The early ice was hot last year on the Red for big fish. I think it may be again this year, likely even better?

Not sure when to say for the Peg? They do some big pike off the Peg too.