• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the Best Bow for the $

PapaJoe

I am looking to purchase a new compound bow next year. I would really like to hear your opinions on what Bows you use, and why you like them? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I like my Golden Eagle, bought it new last year. My first new bow was a GE so I've stuck with them, I like the way the handle fits in my hand. But theres lots of good bows out there, go to a good archery shop and shoot a few.

Good luck, Let us know what you picked and why.

Two years ago I purchased a used Darton and really like it. I went in the late winter/early spring to a bow shop and found an excellent variety of used bows. They were all at a good price because at this time of the year the bows are just not selling. I tried several and found the Darton fit my shooting.

Try various bow shops this winter and spring and give a few a try until U find one that suits U.

Good luck and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

I have been shooting Hoyt bows for years and will stand behind them. I have shot other *very high dollar* bows.. and they are nice.. but not enough in my opinion to justify the price tag once you add a small fortune in accessories. I would rather have a *good bow*, and save the extra cash and put it towards quality accessories (rest, sights, quiver, arrows, limb savers, stabilizer, release, etc, etc).. in the end you may be able to afford to go hunting.

I just upgraded(thanks to Santa) to a newer Hoyt bow that is equipped with an overdraw... at 65 lbs my 25" arrows equipped with 125 grain broad heads are shooting flat to 35 yards and holding a 4" group(one sight pin)... A person couldnt ask more of any bow(at least me).

I get far better penetration now than I did before... Likely due to gain in velocity. For now, I just modified my old arrows, and will invest in new after this archery season is over.

The average carbon arrow weighs 6-9 grains per inch. My arrows were about 7.5 gpi.. I shortened my arrows from 31" to 25".. so I lost 45 grains of weight from arrow length... or the same effect it would have switching from a 125 grain point to an 80 grain.

Another factor is, before there was about 12" between the string(nocking point) and the arrow rest, now there is only about 3". Or the arrow was being *pushed* for about 60% of the arrow length before, where it is being pushed for 90% of it now... or a very minimal loss of energy before the arrow leave's the bow.

The arrow possibilites I can use now are nearly limitless. I will be investing in arrows that are much smaller diameter, but the weight will be around 6 gpi.. or knocking another 40 grains(roughly) off my arrow weight. Even with the loss of weight, I will still have a ton of penetration due to velocity, and added penetration due to smaller arrow diameter. (its easier to drive in a pin vs. a nail).

The added performance of an overdraw is definately worth it if all your shots arent made at 10 yards or less.

Shoot as many bows as you can Papajoe. It's not so much the price than how it shoots for you. You need to be comfortable with your bow, not make adjustments to make a bow fit you.

I've really thought about going out and picking up one of those new Bowtechs, but I've shot many deer, bear, some coons and even a few squirrels with my 15 year old XI Silverhawk. This bow isn't even cammed but I've put a few robin hoods up with it in my day!

Because I don't have cams, I too shoot overdraw. My arrows are also about 25" long and carbon. Remember, kinetic energy (KE) = 0.5*m*v^2 (one half times mass times velocity squared). Less mass actually improves velocity substantially. Since velocity is a 'squared term' it positively impacts overall the KE of the arrow.

My first bowkill was with an old Carols 4x4 round wheel (more like pinwheel) compound. If you guys have seen/shot one of these you'd recognize them as the old compound with the second set of wheels at the top and bottom of the riser. The letoff is about 14% (okay I'm exaggerating, but it's not much). I was 13, and the shot was on a black bear, instinctive, fingers.

Point is, the second most important thing to finding a bow that fits you, is to spend time with it. I think a guy could kill a deer with a tree branch and some bailing twine if he set out to do it.

my 2 bits.