• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rabbits,Rabbits and more Rabbits

Have a bad rabbit problem going on. The darn things chewed every thing that grew in my yard last year garden stuff wifes flowers and anything else they could find. I live in town so shooting them is out. I have a live animal trap but cannot seem to catch any. I need help. Any one have suggestion on baits or lure methods to draw them into trap Thanks F Irish

They're called Aguilla, or Aguila, or something like that. We have a few boxes of them. My dad picks them up at the gun shows when we head down to the RiverCenter. In our .22 pump they make absolutley no noise. I mean the bullet hitting the target makes more sound and you can hear the bullet travel through the air on a calm day. We use them to take care of squirrels at our cabin and just to plink around with. I think our pellet gun is actually louder!

You could always get a dog. Since we got our black lab I have not seen a rabbit, squirel or any other type of rodent in the yard. In fact the birds do not even like to stick around much.

You can have a quiet shot without the special ammo, too. Just open your door or window and step back ten feet or so into the house. Kinda loud inside but you barely hear a thing outside. If you do result to shooting, just don't shoot a bunch at once. A small "pop" every few days usually won't raise any suspicions or concerns. Are you a bowhunter? A cheap recurve is really quiet and can be a lot of fun too.

If shooting is definitely out and you want to trap them, use fresh fruit. Oranges seem to work the best but apples work too. Veggies don't have much smell, especially in the winter and I've had pretty good luck using the oranges in the past.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

I would personally never shoot from 10 feet inside a house. It would be way too easy to shoot a person or a dog that happened to be wandering past the window or door at the wrong time. Recessed in the house you would never see them coming.