• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A big welcome to protrapper!!

Sarge

I'd like to welcome protrapper as moderator here in this forum, which now includes Trapping. If you have questions, answers or just want somewhere to talk about trapping you now have a place to do it. Thanks for getting the ball rolling protrapper.

protrapper, you're a dying breed. My father trapped all winter during the depression so he could afford to farm all summer. I trapped from grade school until I left for collage. I was going to take it up again, but the cousin that had my traps couldn't seem to remember where he had left six dozen traps. Is that possible? Welcome aboard.

jlm, I would strongly recommend buying a subscription to Fur-Fish-Game. Lots of good info in there. Better yet find an experienced trapper and ask if you can tag along, though he may be leery of showing you his trapline. Convince him you have no intention of intruding on his territory, offer to haul traps, help skin, etc., and you'll learn more in a day than you'd think possible.

You should decide on a couple species (dry land or water) you would like to target and go from there. Each animal has different habits and it's hard to explain a general trapline philosophy. Once you have narrowed it down and have a starting point I'm sure you'll get lots of help from protrapper and others.

Lowe pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's hard for me to say over the puter. Pick up a Fur-Fish-Game mag a sporting goods store most carry them. Trapper And Preadator Caller is another fine magazine out there probably the best.

Also most libraries carry books on the subject. And you can order books and videos through the magazines. Finding a good trapper to show how to trap could be very hard to do. Most charge for instructions.

Another great way is to attend the Minnesota Trappers Assoc. summer get together in Mora in August. Pros will give free demos and there will be lots to buy, and the info at these functions flows freely.

If you know a certain animal you would like to catch post it on here and I can some what help you from here..

Good Luck, Trapper.

First order of business ProT, how does one that knows very little about trapping get started? Any materials out there that you would suggest. Any critters easier to trap than others. Where would you start?

Yeah, the game wardies don't seem to believe ya when you tell them those big grey pelts are just super-sized coyotes. smile.gif I actually caught a wolf in blind set intended for coyotes quite a few years back, luckily he pulled out before I got there.

Tough time of the year to get started on any of those critters, although if you're dead set on it I would probably try for the fox. All pelts should be in beautiful shape right now but won't be that way for much longer. Mink can be tough this time of year with all the ice (they can be caught, and protrapper and Pete Zebich explained several very effective sets in the "Winter Mink" topic, but it's tough)and raccoons will be in a dormant state unless we get a nice warm stretch of weather.

My advice to you would be to leave the traps at home this year and simply walk the woods a little, and maybe some streams and springs that haven't completely frozen over, and follow tracks. Most good field guides will have a drawing of footprints associated with the different critters. This way you'll learn about the animals and their habits and have a jump start on next year.

Hey, thanks for the information fellas, I appreciate it. Well the animal that I would like to start with would be Timberwolves but I am sure there might be some rule barried way down in the books on that one. Realistically, I think fox, mink, and coons would be my primary objective. I do not know any serious trappers and have never met one! That is unfortunate! What I would like to do is run a small trap line just for a couple days at a time each time I go up north to my cabin. I am also a taxidermist so taking care of the critters is of no concern...I just need to catch them. Would you say that right now is prime time to begin? I have tried trapping in the past but have had limited success...I did catch plenty of skunks though...and one hawk that I released! I will pick up the magazine...I have read it in the past and it was great. Thanks for the tips guys!