• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What I Love About Deer Hunting!

I'm sure some of you can relate to this.
Let me explane.
I hunt the bluff country in the S.E. part of the state,where you wish you could transform into a mountain goat just to climb the hill to your stand. Start the day offwith some coffee,drape your dirty socks from the day before over your buddy's face,who drank to much the night before. And wont wake up for nothin. Then laugh about it with the others.
Put on the longjons,coveralls,and all the other good stuff. Grab the guns and start off to the stands? Well it never fails, you get about 100 yards away from camp,and the coffee kicks in. So you sprint back to camp stiff legged,releave yourself and you're on your way again. Now your about to the stand that you marked with enough orange tape,it looks like a runway for jets. But you passed it by 50 yards,and now you have to wonder around for a half hour to find it. Finaly you do,and up the hill you go. Tripping and falling,branches snapping back in your face, and thorns in your hand. Then you make it to your tree,braething so heavy it feels like your heart is about to bust through your chest. After 15 minuts of catching your braeth and picking the burrs off,you climb up into your stand. You get all situated,then it happens again! "The Coffee","and bad". You scramble to get through several layers of sweat soaked clothing in a panic.I call this (urinary-thurmel-phoebia). O.K. thats out of the way,NOW! You sit there a while then you here something crunching in the leaves. You get all excited to see the first deer of the day,and it's only a squirl. So then you start to knod off. Then comes your friend the bluejay. He lands in the tree above you and tells everything in the woods that you're there. And he will not go away. You got a good mind to put a slug in him,but you can't see because the sun came up while you were asleep and your eyes havn't adjusted yet. Now you realize it's cold,because you forgot to remove your jacket when you climbed up the hill,and is now soaked with sweat. You try to ignore the chill by going back to sleep,But it doesn't work. By 10:00am you're so cold you can't take it any more,so you climb down. As you're climbing down, you hear a snort and see the white tail of a buck dissapear over the hill. On your way back to camp you come across one of your huntin buddies who just bagged a nice 8 pointer. And now you get the honer of helping drag the thing out. You get back to camp and all the comotion has awakened your other buddy,who is upset about the dirty socks stuck to his face. But is not a thret because he can't lift his head up off his pillow cause it hurts to much. So we go get the deer hung,grab a bite,and setup for the afternoon hunt. After the hunt it's back to camp for beer,chilli and storys about the days hunt. The neighbor guy from up the hill comes down to check out how we did. Although he's already three sheets to the wind,he opens a beer,grabs a bowel of chilli and starts rambeling on about something,who knows? We just laugh amongst our selves to the fact that he's geting more chilli on his beard and shirt than in his mouth.We place bets on what gender his wife realy is.
Then comes the end of the day,We stumble drunkinly into the camper at about 3:00am,got the clock set for 4:30am to get up and start it all over again.
What do I love about deer hunting?
What's not to love?

Does anyone else have deer hunting adventures to share? Sure would like to hear um.

Willowcat I also hunt bluff country near Kellog(married into some of the best deer hunting country I've ever hunted) Was out last week and had a small forkhorn under my stand for at least 1/2 hour. Was so close I could hear him sniffing like a dog! Watched him eat, scratch his ears, take a couple of dumps,and lick the branches of the tree I was in. He gave me at least 1/2 doz. good oppertunities for a shot but I just sat there grinning ear to ear! He made my season a success already without ever taking a shot!! What's not to like!