• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunters Read

So this year I'm hunting on some new land. Its 80 acres to be exact. There is a logging road that goes into the land about 6/10 of a mile long. It turns at one point and straightens out for a bit. This will be the same road I have to walk to get to my stand. I'll have to walk the whole thing. My question is: How would you guys feel about putting a stand on this road? I know i'll be walking in on it, but you would think a deer would have to cross it at least once a day, especially with all the excitement opening morning brings. I have seen deer on it driving in. Just curious what your opinions might be. Maybe some past experiences. Thanks, Tim

I see no problem putting a stand on it as long as you take good precautions.

If it's a permanent stand, build it as soon as you can so it's there when the leaves fall. ALWAYS wear rubber boots going in and out. Never leave bodily wastes in the area. If you have to, dig a hole a bury it. if deer are aclimated to occassional human traffic on the road that's good, but you don't want them to note that you are spending great deals of time in the area.

I'd personally try to build back 25 to 50 yards and look for a paralell deer trail to be 25 to 75 yards back. That's were the big boy's will travel until they have to cross at a funnel, bottleneck, low spot or bend where they have cover as much as possible. Avoid sitting right on the road where you have the best clearest view because the deer do also. You will get busted if you are in the open and not very careful. Height, camoflauge (ie. burlap rap, branches pine bows etc) will help.

The road is great to walk in on because there will be less brush that may contact you clothes, hands other scent depositers. I always try to have my lead in trail very clear. Many time have had deer follow my trail to the stand, especially if there is fresh heavy snow. Then I try to go out on friday and make trails past my stands that the deer will follow as they see it as easier walking. One year new snow came the night befoe opener and at 9am 2 deer walked right on my new tracks to the bottom of the stand. Just following the trail!

Good Luck!

Gadget