• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sucker

Suckers can get pretty big! I once took $5.00 off about a 400 pounder, shooting pool!

Another time I seen one at the Fair that was about 3 feet across, I think they called it a "Lallapolloza"!

Of course you can target them ... but nobody has ever taken the time to figure out exactly how to do it, including me unfortunately.

There are 18 different species of suckers and each one is different. If you find a lake with a healthy population of white suckers, you could probably do pretty well fishing deep, right on the bottom, with a bait that has a natural smell to it, like a Hexegenia Wiggler or piece of squid.

However you did it, they sure would make some delicious fish patties in the winter I imagine.

I haven't caught any through the ice. You can check out the DNR gillnet reports by using the Lake Finder on the MN DNR site. I would also check out any fishable rivers, like for instance the St. Croix, which has good numbers of several species of suckers. An underwater camera might help determine what kind of fish are down there - you wouldn't want to locate what you think is a school of suckers and have them turn out to be walleyes.