• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

recipes

anyone have a good recipe for suckers? one that doesnt involve canning, smoking or pickling them? is there a way to fry them that is edible?

------------------
a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work

There was an article in In Fish a year or 2 ago that said to poach suckers, then flake the meat to use for fish cakes.

I'm not usually a fan of fishcakes, but the recipe did look good.

Tom B

short..i have simple "throw together" type recipe that varies with the ingredience for those suckers ...i found it rather tasty....no....it's not as tasty as walleye(because suckers aren't walleyes..lol!)but....when you put one of these fried coated patties on a hamburger bun...with a slice of tomato...lettuce...tarter sauce(or mayo)...and dill pickle...it's not bad!...guess you won't know till you try em....here's what i do:
1) fillet a few suckers(cold and fresh of course)( till you get about 1-2 pounds of meat..trim some of the dark reddish meat off as this adds to the stronger flavor(not neccesary off course)whiter the better
2)grind up the fillets bones and all(use the finest cutter in the grinder)bones will be barely noticeable once fried up(the reason for the "fine" grinder)
3)to this pile of meat(light pinkish white at this point)...add an egg..."about"a cup of cracker crumbs...about 2 tablespoons of milk or halnhalf(to make the meat stick together for patties a binder)add some green pepper if one would like... a "little" salt..pepper..onion...garlic powder..add your own seasonings if you wish at this point...i even add a dash of worchestershire
4)form the patties.....throw em in an eggwash(couple of eggs whipped up)take the patties and put em in your favorite dry fish coating
5)pan fry em (i use peanut oil...takes higher heat then the other oils without burning)any oil's ok i guess...try it out...another way to eat suckers other then the pickling or smoking thing ....jonny

Fillet and skin them, run the fillets through a fine meat grinder twice. Then mix the ground meat with a little chopped onion and green pepper. Make them into patties and fry them in hot oil. They taste sweet, just like sunfish.

thanks for the tips. might have to wait till next year to try it out unless there are a few suckers left around at the dam. jonny have you been to the river recently?

------------------

short....i was out for a couple hours last weekend (week ago sunday)morning ...yup the suckers were there again...caught about dozen...they didn't seem to be slowin down at all.....but i noticed they were surfacing all over...they didn't do that 2 weeks earlier...caught the biggest red-horse yet.not sure how big but between 3-4 pounds i'd say...will be going north upcomimg (crane -lake sandpoint) so i won't be at the "dam' for awhile myself...but i go every year for those suckers...great fun after a long winter!...jonny

jonny
i was at the dam tonight and caught some redhorse and suckers. also caugt a few slimers but no walleyes. there were alot of people down there. there were 4 peop;e from the china buffet. they caught around 7 walleyes but they were all under 12 inches.

------------------