• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flyfishing for Carp

I've noticed a lot of carp eating off the surface when I'm at Coon Rapids Dam. I've wanted for the longest time to catch them with a dry fly but I don't have a fly rod. Is it possible to use dry fly's with spinning gear?

Hey Lost,
You might be able to use spinning gear but I would use a bobber to get the line to cast and then tie a ant or spider fly to the line.
At least a couple of feet down from the bobber.
I love to fly fish for carp I use Betts spider imitation. Good luck.
Bowfin

Thanks! I never thought about doing it that way. It takes a genius to figure these things out.

So should I put the bobber stop below the bobber for such a presentation?

Use a fixed bobber as light as you can and 5-6' of line after the bobber. Don't be supprised if a fish hits your bobber to as you pull in the fly in. I use poppers/fly and bobber combination with my kids with lots of sucess for multiple species.

Lost,

Use one of those Clear Adjustabubbles those are the ticket for that sort of presentation because you can also fill them with a bit of water for extra weight if needed.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

I think you should just buy a fly rod. Fly fishing usually outfishes any other method. I have switched completely to fly fishing and I used to be a hard core bait guy.

Carp on the fly is the highest form of sport fishing.

Tony

I have to agree there, the bobber will probably spook them. Beginner flyrods are pretty cheap and if they are eating cottonwood you can make your own fly by gluing some fluff to a hook.

Problem is, where I plan on using it, I'll be surrounded by people... nearly shoulder to shoulder... plus I've never been fly-fishing in my life.

smellz... I'm talkin' about during the Carp Contest. Kinda hard to fish a different spot when you're competing for a prize or three.

During the carp contest the carp will not be in the shallows feeding. Too much activity. They will spook out of there and be feeding in the main channel. In any case you'd have a hard time casting a flyrod during the contest. But if you had a long, say 10-14 foot ultralight rod that could cast a single split shot and a corn kernal or piece of bread, you could cast it past the fish and then reel it back up to them. Like I said they will probably change their location once the contest starts but if they are there you could get them with the long-casting setup.

Roughfisher,

Last year I saw a couple huge ones feeding off the surface while everybody else was trying to catch them off the bottom. I suppose I'll have to see how things work this year.

They may have been feeding on cottonwood seed. Make a fly, #12 dry-fly hook with white Cul-De_cunard Feathers tied in just at the eye, That will catch them every time. If you have problems with the fly sinking, add a tiny piece of white or transparent floating foam to your fly or apply floatant.

Andy - thanks for the CDC info. I have never known what those dang letters stand for and always forget to ask.

I tie a little white or tan craft foam in as well for added floatation.

The elm and cottonwood hatches are ON!

Tony

I'll probably end up buying the fly's. Never made one in my life. But I'll definitely experiment! What size hook do you suggest?

One of the best things about fly fishing is using a fly you tied yourself. I would highly recomend learning to tie it's relaxing and very rewarding.

Where on earth would you, or do you get the patience to land a lunker carp on a fly rod?

I figure that one of them 30 pounders would probably take you about a week to land on a fly rod! If you are fishing the river, maybe 2 weeks, with the current helping them!

In a carp fishing contest, I'm sure that everyone would pull in their lines and step back, each time the angler ran up and down the river, don't ya think?

We took some Steelhead on flyrods, on the Knife river up on the north shore years ago, they were maybe 4 pounds or so each, and them things would take you all over the river! A steelhead is fast and pretty strong, but a big carp has awsome power! They can use that strength to beeline to!

Once a while back,using an open faced spinning reel, 10 pound test line, and a medium action rod, I put the hook into one swimming along the wall below the dam on the Mississippi in St. Cloud...that thing had to be a foot wide across the head! When I set him, he turned into the current, and made the drag on that reel sound like a hornet on steroids! I never had a chance.

Good luck with the fly rod, it should be interesting if you get into one even in the 10 pound class!