• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone carp fish lately?

Hit the Mississippi just north of the Lake street bridge in Minneapolis twice this week. At this particular spot the carp are becoming very active right now. Initially, I went down to this spot to fish crappies (the bite is on for the crappies, but they're running really small) but noticed there were carp splashing and jumping all over the place. Caught two accidentally on crappie minnows the first day, caught five intentionally on corn (lost twice as many) the next. Lots and lots of fun!!

------------------
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

blacksportsman, where do you fish north of the lake street bridge? do you fish the runoff thingy there acroos from the rowing club? i fish in there all the time and catch a lot of smallies and northern on rattlin rapalas.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

Bobb-o, I see you're familiar with the area. That would be the spot. It's no secret, after all it's a public place. A lot of people know where it is, they just don't bother fishing down there. I'm usually by myself, with the exception of the occasional hiker or St. Paul park ranger just checking the area out.

Mnfisherman, the first day I went down there this week (monday, 9am) yielded the biggest fish, a 30 incher, but the next day they were more in the 20"-25" range, a little on the small side. On Tuesday I arrived at 10:45am and tried for a few crappies first. The crappies weren't biting as well as the day before but were running just a little bit bigger. After fishing for an hour and catching only 8 crappies it was time to break out the corn. Didn't take long either, first fish was on in less than five minutes. Stayed until 1:30pm, averaged about 1 fish every 15 minutes or so, not to mention all the bites and lost fish. Fast enough action to keep me happy and busy for a while.

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

hey blacksportsman was that you down at the river today catching crappies? My buddy was down there with my brother, and didnt get anything but they said someone was down there catching crappies, figured it would be you.

------------------
a Leap year huh? sweet, an extra day of fishing!

Me and blacksportsman were down there today.

I was down there with my dad kind early this morning but we were only fishing for carp.

Bob-o, does your brother or your friend have 3 dogs? If so then I saw them.

no they didnt have any dogs with them, It was my brother (16), and my buddy (20) my buddy has his hair shaved close if he wasn't wearing his hat, and my brother was probably calling him a hippy.

------------------
a Leap year huh? sweet, an extra day of fishing!

Hey guys, haven't been on line for a few days. Yup, that was me down there on Sunday. I didn't get there until after 10:30am. I had the opportunity to meet mnfisherman and his dad. They were hitting the carp pretty good from what I could tell. I always insist on fishing for the crappies first 'cause I know they're always down there. For the day I managed only one carp, seven crappies, and a smallie. Bobb-o, I think I did meet your buddies. After mnfisherman and his dad left, two younger guys came down there fishing for smallmouth bass casting artificials. That spot was popular on sunday. Another guy came down there shortly after your buddies (?) arrived, fishing for crappies. A friend of the last fella also showed up about an half hour later, so at one point there were five of us down there fishing. Not much catching was going on. Still a good day fishing. It was beautiful this past weekend and if a guy didn't make it out at least one day to fish, he really missed out. By the way, spring is around the corner...

------------------

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

My dad and I did pretty well that day. We got about 9 carp that were about 3-4 pounds. We lost a lot more also.

Even though the carp were smaller than usual it was still a lot of fun.