• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CarpFest anyone?

Nels

Hey!
I'll be up there. My brother, my daughter and I are making the trip from Rochester just to stalk the wily carp. You can still get in on the action. Registration starts at 7:00 am, the fishing starts at 8:00. Preregistration was preferred because it's cheaper and you get a free t-shirt, but you can still get in up until noon on the day of the contest. Check out the official HSOforum for rules:

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/special/carpfest/2003/carpfest.cfm

Hope to see you fellow carpers there. If you see a guy hobbling around with one silver metal crutch, it's probably me. Hope to snare one of those prizes but I'll be happy just getting a line wet. Good Luck!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Did very poorly. Tried everything in the arsenal but couldn't get a hit. Had corn, worms and dough-balls and nothing wanted it. I caught one 1 1/2 pound northern on a gob of crawlers that was laying on the bottom. That was a surprise. I talked to several of the Carpfest volunteers and they all said the number of carp brought in was down this year. Oh well, I'll still be back next year. Beats working any day!!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I had only one hit, but didn't land it.
I was with 6 friends, and 3 of them caught Carp (7-9.5 lbs). 2 others were lost in about 2 foot of water. All of us had hits. A couple of lines snapped too.

The best bait seemed to be just oatmeal, with crawlers a close second.

All in all, I thought our group did fairly well, because we didn't see anyone within 100 yards of us catch anything except for 1 Drum.

We got interviewed by Ralph Jon Fritz for his Out and About show on Aug. 2nd.
Look for shirts with "Team Carp One".

I think the biggest winner was about 19lbs, and the smallest was around 3.

I will definitely be back next year.

Have fun Carpin'.

I was there taking pictures. Didn't enter the contest, had no money. The biggest carp of the day was caught by a kid, around 12 yrs old, I'd say. It was just over 19 lbs. The smallest fish of the day was 3.13 lbs on both adult and kids.

Seemed to be quite a slow day not just for catchin' fish but even with the crowd. Smallest one so far is what they say.

I was scouting the area out that Friday and saw some huge carp eating seeds off the surface of the water. I'm surprised nobody was out there fly-fishing for them.