• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

suprise suprise

I drive by a spot everyday near my house on my way to work and think hmmmm looks like a good crappie spot. So today on a whim I gave it a shot not knowing what I'd find. Well no crappie, but loaded with large carp! Now it's pretty shallow there. I couldn't get them to take a small jig. What ya think....corn or nightcrawlers.

I've been catching them on 1/16 oz. jigheads w/2" white double tailed twisters...what a mouthful! They are kind of tough to hook on this rig, but you should have a lot of action.

This has worked in the shallows on metro lakes any how. If there is strong current, you may opt for a heavier jig head.

Corn is always an option also.

So I dug up a few worms and headed down there. Spotted some carp and and couldn't manage a one. However...as I was casting I spotted a pair that were quite large so I quick reel in to try to get my bait to em and wouldn't ya know it, right by my feet near the shoreline the water explodes and I see a huge (I have no idea what, but it was light colored) fish take my bait and start running like no tommorow! Luckily my drag was set light so I start fighting this thing and I get bit off. ****. I have to guess it was a northern. Buy who knows. Whatever it was it was huge. I've caught 40"+ northern and it was all of that. The strangest thing was it was no more that 2 ft deep. After that I switched to an orginal rapala and managed a sheepshead and a white bass (15"). I think the spot is connected to the Minnesota river, so I guess it could've been anything. My best guess is northern though. Got my heart pumpin that's for sure.
By the way does anyone know what the fish is that looks like a cross between a sunfish,rockbass,and pumpkinseed? I've caught quite a few in the creeks and this same spot and not sure what they are.

I caught one of those sunfish, rock bass, and pumpkinseed mix yesterday as a matter of fact. It was pretty big from what I thought. I'm guessin mine was about half a pound or so. I have no idea what they are, maybe just a mix. It was the first one that I have caught and if it's any consolation I caught it in about two feet of water also.

If they are in shallow water, try floating something on top instead.

Most likely carp are looking for handouts of bread for the geese or insects at this point and are surface feeding. If they start jumping or mouthing at the surface, it's a sure sign they are looking for something on the top. Try a french fry or a piece of bread multi-hooked on a "floating crawler rig. Also-- flyfishing would be a riot I bet too.. I've never really fly fished before for anything.. but have considered learning how just when I see these big car mouthing the surface. I bet that'd be a riot. One would prally need to get more like a pike fly rod for this however, I doubt the cheap lil one I have could handle em.

Those are just refered to as 'hybrid sunfish' and the DNR raises them and stocks them in certain lakes in the metro area. However; most hybrids are usually consistant of Greensunfish, Pumpkinseeds, and Bluegills; but since Green sunfish also have the big mouths and drab coloring they can sometimes be confused for rock bass. And generally they are only two species. Also-- where there are high numbers of mutiple species (which is rare, since Bluegills tend to Dominate most other sunfish species if they are together) They will occasionally make natual hybrids as well; altough I heard these hybrids are then sterile, like Tiger Muskies. I catch them frequetnly at Orchard, which I beleive must be stocked with Hybrids.