• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suckers

If I wanted to fish for suckers in the spring with hook and line, what would be the best baits? Do I fish right on the bottem? And what size hook would be the best? Thanks all for any replies.

------------------
Walleye Slayer
"Leave nothing to fate"

Most of the time, it's tough to beat a good old angleworm. Thread the worm several times onto a #8 to #12 baitholder-- something like an Eagle Claw 181 or 186.

A simple spilt shot rig suits light drift duty well in riffles and run areas of small streams. When suckers bunch up in holes, go to set rigging with a quarter to half-ounce bell sinker above a ball-bearing swivel and short leader snelled to a baitholder hook.

Early redhorse runs are already starting to take shape in my neck of the woods, so soon as the weather clears out, looks like a little springtime sucker fishing is in order. I'm ready!

Enjoy your fishing smile.gif.

-a friend called Toad

Sucker was my first fish! Caught it on a wad of chewed up bubble gum - hope that helps grin.gif

Seriously, just thought of somethin'. Put this post on the catfish forum - they often fish for their own bait to cut.
------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 04-03-2003).]

Suckers are the best springtime primer.I love the sucker run. You can catch alot of hard fighting fish and a few very nice sized walleyes to throw back. I use a wad of nightcrawlers on a slip sinker rig. Use a small splitshot as a slip sinker stop.Now is the time to get ready for it too. Good luck and have fun. Hey bring a kid with you, there is no better practice than this.

If Im live on a river about 40 feet across and about 12 feet deep in the middle, what would be the best depth to fish? Thanks.

------------------
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard"

I have only fished for suckers in creeks.
I managed to get three today.Caught them in the deepest slowest section of the creek I was fishing.It was a tough bite to see.You could barely tell that they were biting.You would see your line twitch every so slightly.They would not run with the crawler,just sit their with it in their mouth.Didn't fight much either.

I love sucker fishing!...after a long winter,it's nice to get out and be on open water again....fishing red horse suckers is kind of a ritual iv'e been doing for years each spring( actually "shorthead redhorse" suckers)...and they taste great!.........there tasty made into "fish patties"(groud up with crackers, potato flakes green pepper, and egg for holding the patties together)...or even deep fried...the secret is to score the fillets every 1/8" along the whole fillet...that way, the hot oil dissolves the bones(and they really do dissolve)...plus short head red horse suckers are a beautiful fish......bright orange red fins...golden sides...a nice way to start the up coming fishing season....I usually fish for these redhorse on the St.Louis river by Forbes mn.... little early yet but about 2 weeks before they start congregating by the Forbes dam to spawn