• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

For all you carp lovers....

They are THICK down by the east (Cedar ave) outlet on the Minnesota by Blackdog. No need to zing anything a mile out there either... they are 10-20 feet from shore. Theres biguns there.... 20+ pounds.
I also caught the biggest **** sheephead in my life. that thing was pushing 30" in length. Nuttin to brag about... but it was huge.... and ugly.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

OOH! I'm ready for some open water action! I got Tues and Wensday off of next week; I know where that is too... I've never had any luck this early in the season on any part of the river; only usually getting small suckers and mooneyes at most. It'd be fun to get out if what you say is true, and there are active fish down there. What's been the choice for bait?

I wnet down to that black dog outlet today and got skunked! Oh well, I fished with crawlers and corn, not a bite, although with all the snags I don't know when I woulda got one, I gotta figure out how to fish snagless.

Just use a 1/8 jighead, SMALL chunk of ORANGE plastic dobbed with some "Kick-N-Bass" scent. Just slow roll it in. Serioulsy... it works! You'll snag some, but you'll be surprised at how many HIT the jig. They love that garlic scent!

------------------
-FNC

i went down to the river yesterday and also got skunked. Using corn and worms, fished both the river side and the channel. I usaully prefer to fish in the outlet channel itself more fish (smaller) and no snags but nothing going in both places. People were catching a few carp down on the 35W side.

Don't fish right in the outlet!!! That IS snag heaven. Rather, fish the rip-rap going towards thge Cedar Ave bridge. Much less snags, and they are sitting there as well. Like I said before, between 10-20ft out. You don't need to jig it at all.... just slowly reel. If you bump a rock... just hop over it. If you start to feel slow resitance... it's a carp. Set the hook!

------------------
-FNC

35w south to burnsville. Blackdog road exit (right after you cross the river). Go east. There are two outlets. Both can be good but the one farthest east by the Cedar Ave bridge is usually better due to higher flow from the lake.

I went down there yeasterday, caught a 6 lb carp at the cedar outlet, and a 4lb and 7lb carp at the other outlet, also lost some at the other one. However, all three were accidentally snagged, so im not sure if they are feeding that actively.

I was also down there yesterday. I saw someone in the large gropup of people reel in one carp about 6 lbs.. was that you Lunker? I was the guy in the Jean jacket with the big white Rod. I fished both sides of the outlet, and the little stream inlet to Blackdog. I got skunked but I did have a few nibbles.

I'm not quite sure what this cold weather is going to do to the bite. But I will probably head down there, how can I say no? I work both sat and sun at 5pm, so if I head down it will be in the afternoon. I'll be in a grey sweatshirt with jeans.

As for what was biting this last week, all I saw or caught was carp. Someone posted that they caught a drum, and I think I might have lost a cat, but the guys who have been fishing for cats have got nothing. I think once it warms up again and the water has time to warm up a couple degrees other fish will bite readily, but carp so far. Too bad my spring break was this last week!

Me and a couple of my friends will be heading down there sometime over spring break. I am not sure when but we were talking about this weekend. I will talk to my friends at baseball practice today and post when we plan on going down there.

What has been biting down there other than carp?

------------------
Big D

Fished both of the black dog outlets today. Got skunked. Saw about 7 other people fishing, and saw no fish caught. I think the cold weather stopped any bite that was getting started.Usually even if the fish aren't biting i'll accidentally snag a few carp, which did not happen, so i don't know where they were. Any one else fish today?

Lunker,

I put in the boat in shakopee and fished a couple of spots around there, caught about 20 or so carp, one about 15 lbs... Kinda fun on a medium walleye rod. I also fished one spot where I got into a few carp and about 20 or so stripe bass, a couple over 3 pounds, also kind of fun... Will be fishing some evening this week after work, about 4:00. I'll have a spot open in the boat for anyone interested. Not sure wich day, supposed to get pretty nice out again, I'll just have to drag the boat to work.

Andy

------------------
"The Boat"
14' starcraft w/ 25hr johnson

River Rat, what kind of spots were you fishing? Saturday I couldn't get a bite at the outlets that usually produce. But I agree, on walleye tackle they are fun. Ive been fishing for them with a 6 ft med action with 10lb test. Fun to catch them on it, and easy to break of my snags!

I was fishing shallow spots <4' with warmer water coming in. There were so many of them that you could see them rolling around. About a third of them were snags. Using a chartruese 3/8's jig and a piece of crawler. I also use 15lb fire line on my rods in the river... Hard stuff to break, keeps the snags down a little.

Good times for all....

------------------
"The Boat"
14' starcraft w/ 25hr johnson

We got into them pretty heavy at the Sand Creek inlet near Jordan on the Minnesota. The river was 37 and the creek water was 42 degrees. The Carp were lovin it!

Fishhead drove that River Pro right up in there with um! I guess we needed a drag test....Some of the carp were probably pushing 15 lbs.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......