• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minneapolis CARP........Whats the average weight??

Can you guys give me an estimate, of the average weight of the "carp" in the lakes and rivers around the Minneapolis area? (10lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs etc etc)
Also what is the main species of of the carp (what is there most of), common carp, mirror carp, grass carp, leather carp etc etc.
And last but not least "What is the state record for carp"??

------------------
GOD was a Carp Fisherman!!

I have only caught common carp out of the city lakes. We do have other species of carp in the mississippi river, but they are rare.

Minnesota's state record carp on hook and line is about 55.5 pounds. Much larger carp have been harvested with bow and arrow, I personally witnessed an 86 lb fish out of a northeast metro lake.

The average size varies greatly from lake to lake .. and sometimes day to day. An average weight is hard to determine n my experience. Most of the fish from Calhoun, Isles, and Harriet are right around 10 lbs. Some days you will get into schools of small fish and others you will hit the schools of the big fish (20lb+).

We have allot of carp in our lakes and they recieve basically no fishing pressure, there is a healthy population and a good spawn so we have fish of all shapes and sizes.

I've caught a few mirror carp out of Harriet, but not in about 20 years. They are very rare. My brother caught a small one on the river last year. It was cool to see one again, but that's an ugly fish. Vern

Giant carp and easy to catch.
Go to Forest Lake.
The shallows on the south side of lake 1 and wait till it gets dark. If you don't get some pigs, come and call me a liar!
Have had my line broken too many times to count out there at sundown. Biggest was around 25 lbs. Didn't have a scale at the time so it's a guess.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\