• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am getting pumped for my annual trip to SD over memorial day weekend. I was wondering how the walleye bite has been in francis case. Would it be worth hauling the boat above, or is it better in FC now. I assume spinners with crawlers or minnows are catching fish. Any info to save me some time searching would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Something to consider on this part of the MO is current.

Typically the ACE opens the dams to generate power during the week and that's when you will get the best bite.

You can call them to see when they're planning on releasing water over the dam--I'd plan accordingly.

Current=Walleye action on the Missouri.

I'd also get a good bottom structure map if you're new to the river--fish the edges of the original river bank not the flodded banks. Depth depends on how high the river is, but usually you're fishing in 17-20ft.

Boat control is key, use 1/8-/14 oz. jigs with a minnow and stay verticle.

If the water is still cold, the Walleyes can be up in the shale hanging out--use a 1/6 oz. jig and cast into 1-3ft. along the banks as if Bass fishing--stay back from the bank so you don't spook the fish as you slide down river.

------------------
Chells

Thanks for the advice. I may be wrong, but isn't Sun the day they shut the dam down? I have not tried the shallow fish yet, typically we follow the channel with jigs and minnows early and spiners later.

Generally the fishing is better when they are running water, and generally they run less water on the weekends, but....don't think you can't catch fish without the current. We have had some fantastic days on the weekends when they are not running water. All I'm saying is that we used to let the lack of current effect our confidence but now we just go and fish and try to prove the current theory wrong. The fish are still there, somewhere, maybe not as concentrated but they also still have to eat, so don't give up. Have a great weekend. Also don't forget that if you go south of town there is always current coming in from the white river. Good Luck.

I believe they shut it down when they've generated the kilowatts they require, however, I've seen it shut down on Friday through the weekend.

That's why I'd call to get an accurate report.

Enjoy your trip!

------------------
Chells