• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre-spawn pike on Oahe

Anybody do any pre-spawn pike fishing on Oahe? If so what areas are most productive, depth, structure, ect. Also when is the best time to go? Thanks

Carpguy,

If you are talking about fishing for pre-spawn northern, you're talking about ice fishing, as pike normally spawn very close to ice-out.

As far as early season open water, you need to concentrate your efforts in the creek arms of Oahe. Look for water that is warmer than anywhere else on the lake. Protected, shallow, dark bottom coves on a sunny day can attract fish. Fish will also congregate where warmer water comes into the lake.

Fish a dead smelt on a quick strike rig, a live sucker under a bobber and then use another rod to cast big stick-baits, flashy spoons or even spinner baits.

It's been years since I've done it, but I'm sure the pattern hasn't changed. Also, I've always done it from shore....never from a boat.

Good luck.

How do you go about getting to these shallow coves without a boat?? I am interested in fishing for some early season pike on the river. I understand that there are big fish that come out of there. Also, about what time of year does this bite happen??

How do you go about getting to these shallow coves without a boat?? I am interested in fishing for some early season pike on the river. I understand that there are big fish that come out of there. Also, about what time of year does this bite happen??

How do you get out to these shallow coves without a boat?? Are their roads leading to them?? I really want to go and do this but do not know the timeframe when these pike come into these coves