• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend Fishing

I fished this weekend on Waubay and the perch bite was pretty tough during the day hours. We managed a few really nice fish as well as some small walleye and some dandy crappies. Most of the perch we located were in 25 ft.

We also fished Bitter and the bite was a little better, and the size was excellent. We had one perch that went 1lb 12 ounces as well as one that was 1lb 5 ounces. We did a lot of searching as the ice is in great shape on the lakes. We also got a couple nice walleye and Pike but we fished mid-day. Not ideal times.

We also hit enemy swim for walleye. The bite was pretty good but as usual, the size was relatively small. We picked up a few nice fish and a few nice crappies.

I want to thank Jim Mikkelson from Fins and Feathers Lodge on Bitter lake for letting us use his access. Looking forward to the spring fishing out there! Scott Steil

Scott,
Which area of the lake did you find 25 ft. I thought 22 ft. was the deepest? How deep did you find the crappies? Those perch are fun huh? One of the few places I caught so many 15 inch 'eyes that I was frustrated with catching them. Froze the hell out of my hands....they still haven't thawed out!

I usually go out of the access just South of Buchshot resort. That basin in front of the resort has a lot of deep water. The deepest we fished would have been close to 27ft. The water is so clear on Waubay that as soon as your jig/spoon or whatever you are using drops below the ice, the perch will start coming off the bottom. However, getting them to bite took a still presentation.

Yes, there is a great population of almost legal walleye in the lake. There are plenty of big fish but the 15 inchers really seem to be aggressive. Scott Steil